Any one else BFing LO with food allergies?

BunnyN

Reaction score
We have had issues with poor weight gain and foamy poo with mucus in. I wasn't too worried but things just got gradually worse. Poo had large amounts of mucus and turned green, then there were specks of blood and she actually lost weight. I refused to use formula top ups because I didn't believe lack of milk was the problem. But by 7 weeks she was only just over her birth weight and the midwife suggested wé ask her to be tested for cystic fibrosis. I was starting to get scared. Doctor google said thet her symptoms were consistent with a food allergy so I started an ellimination diet. I decided I didn't want to take the time to experiment with one food at a time so went cold turkey and ate nothing but rice for a week. It took a while but we are finally seeing results! we have yellow poo! And what's better as of today it doesn't have hardly any mucus. I never thought poo could make me so happy! Its early days but she seems to be gaining weight better too. I'm slowly adding foods back into my diet but still leaving out the likely culprits like dairy for now.

I'm new to this so would love to hear from other BFing mums who have dealt with food allergies in their LOs.

Last edited:
No experience sorry but that sounds pretty tough only eating rice! Hope you find what the cause is asap. Xxx

Bless you Hun, I think I mentioned in another thread that C had a CMP allergy but his manifested as eczema rather than major poo issues although we had them for around three months. Thankfully C has already grown out of it.

I stuck to almond milk, dairy free spread, made my own yoghurt but kept cheese on my diet. It was well worth it, I know how tough it is.

Have you been referred to a dietician?

Xx

No experience sorry but that sounds pretty tough only eating rice! Hope you find what the cause is asap. Xxx

To be honest I was desperate enough to try anything! And seeing results has made it well worth it.

Karate kid- no I havent seen a dietician. This is something I worked out myself, not sure what the doctor is going to make of it, we will see. I'm not too worried though. The only advice doctors seem to have heerre for bad weight gain is to supliment with formula but I'm glad I didnt because it would have just caused worse problems. Obviously eating rice is a short term solution but I figure it won't do me any harm short term as long as I start adding other foods and build up to a healthy balanced diet. I could of done it the other way around and cut out one food at a time but I felt for my own sanity and LOs health I rather get get it over with quickly rather than potentially messing around for months trying to work it out.

Did your LO react to any other foods, or just dairy?

Last edited:

To be honest I was desperate enough to try anything! And seeing results has made it well worth it.

Karate kid- no I havent seen a dietician. This is something I worked out myself, not sure what the doctor is going to make of it, we will see. I'm not too worried though. The only advice doctors seem to have heerre for bad weight gain is to supliment with formula but I'm glad I didnt because it would have just caused worse problems. Obviously eating rice is a short term solution but I figure it won't do me any harm short term as long as I start adding other foods and build up to a healthy balanced diet. I could of done it the other way around and cut out one food at a time but I felt for my own sanity and LOs health I rather get get it over with quickly rather than potentially messing around for months trying to work it out.

Did your LO react to any other foods, or just dairy?

Just dairy Hun, I think he may have a slight reaction to cocoa to but I am allergic so I have eaten enough to know for sure.

I was told it definitely wasn't an allergy by three GP's! Despite always reacting to CMP, we were never referred and i was told to supplement with formula several times because my supply clearly wasn't good enough.

Centile lines annoy me, a child isn't a statistic!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373694655.205563.jpg

I love this little illustration and use it a lot in my work as a BFing support worker. It hits home that children are not all the same.

You are clearly doing a fab job Hun xx

My son had cmpa. I did find out when i topped up with formula because of the supply issue(very unlucky!).

I was avoiding things like citrus fruit etc for a bit too. He was tested though and also borderline for egg white.
He is 2 in September and has outgrown his allergies.
Ita horrible seeing them suffer :(
Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Karate Kid- love the picture :). I wasn't too worried about her weight because she was putting it on steadily even if slowly and seemed otherwise healthy and very strong and lively and developing well (she started rolling over at a month old). Then at 7 weeks she had actually lost weight and the blood in the nappies showed up and I freaked out a bit. At that point I did feel she was looking too skinny but I really wanted to avoid top ups because there is bad asthma in our family and they say EBing for the first 6 months reduces the risk a lot. All of my brothers children have bad asthma and they have had some scary experiences like their little boy stopped breathing while being air lifted to hospital, thankfully he was okay but the doctor said it was close. So I felt pretty strongly that it was better for her to be a little underweight than raise the risk for developing asthma otherwise I probably would have at least tried out the formula top ups. Glad to say she has been gaining really well since I started the elimination diet and you can see the difference in her, she is still slim but doesn't look skinny anymore hoping we will see some fat rolls soon lol! She is a completely different baby too. I didn't actually think she cried that much but she had been getting fussier and fussier. A week into the diet and she is a little gurgling ball of happiness! And although she didn't have proper eczema she always had dry skin and that seems to have gone away too.

knopk@- did your boy have poop issues too, or was it skin problems? Is giving the formula how you found out he was allergic? Glad he has gotten over it now.

Yes giving formula is how i found out, poop was foamy but no blood in it. He had bad reflux though and was always feeding ( as there were couple of issues, it was hard to.understand the problem.
I avoided dairy and he had prescription formula for top ups, cereal and cooking.
My second son thankfully doesnt have any issues (bar low supply but Domperidone worked wonders for me).
I pushed for allergy testing before 1 and we recently had skin prick to see if his skin is reacting which it wasnt.
His skin was ok until he had MMR(it was a hard decision but mumps isnt available as a single.vaccine)

Did he react badly to MMR? Our LO hasnt had her vacinations yet. They give them at birth here (im in Portugal) but we decided we wanted to wait until 2 months old like they do in UK as it seemed like a lot to load a newborns system with. Then when she turned 2 months it was the week she lost weight so we decided we didnt want add anything else to the mix until we work out whats going on. I had a bad reaction to vacines when I was a teenager and the doctor actually advised I didn't get more vacines so I am a bit cautious about them.

His skin reacted very.badly - within couple of hours of the jab he had diarrhea and then eczema appeared all over his body.
I.had to use 3 types of steroid creams and other stuff.
I was advised to wait until preschool for his booster. But reaction like this is rare

Poor boy, how long did it take him to recover? I know it is unusual to have a bad reaction but I got quite ill from vacines and we had a friend with a paraplegic daughter due to a very bad reaction to childhood vacines so they do scare me a bit. We are still planning to do them but we decided to hold off until we feel she has a bit of weight on her at least.

Quite a long time. He didnt use to get eczema on the trunk, now it can appear everywhere but its getting better now. He is 2 in Sept.
Here they do mmr and another one at the same time, i separated those.
I think you have to use common sense esp if you reacted and she isnt well atm. DS2 had his delayed for 2 weeks because he was exposed to CP and i didnt want to risk it

I have a close friend whos 5month old has a cow milk proteins allergy x he was diagnosed at 10wks old x
She is bfing and has coeliac disease herself so she is gluten and dairy free he also reacts badly to soya xx
He is under the paediatrics and dietitians x
He has a completely dairy free formula for top ups xx he wouldn't latch onto breast after his worst bout of illness when he was in scbu so she exclusively expresses for him too xx

Hugs I seen first hand how hard it is xx

Quinns proud mammy xx Tapatalking xx

Thanks, its going well for us. She is so much happier and poo looks almost normal for the first time. I'm adding food back to my diet one at a time.she had a couple of bad days after I ate bannanas so they are on the suspect list now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back