Any of ur babies not engaged at 40 weeks?

x_larlybelle_x

Reaction score
Hi ladies.

Just looking for a bit of advice/experience.

I'm currently 40+2 with my first baby and at my last mw appt on Monday was told baby still isn't engaged. I'm booked for a sweep and to book my induction on Monday if he has engaged, if not my induction will be booked and no sweep because of the risk of cord prolapse.

I'm now starting to think that my baby is too big for my pelvis. He has been head down since 28 weeks but never engaged.

I had planned a minimal intervention birth at my mlu, but I'm now coming to terms with the probability of having to go to the labour and delivery ward to be induced. This doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would and if it needs to happen then so be it.

However, today I've begun to think I'll end up with a section because he is too big to fit through my pelvis and this is why he hasn't engaged. My FH has always measured 2 weeks ahead (I know this is nothing to go by so I'm not taking this as gospel).

So I'm just wondering if any of u had experienced the same with baby not being engaged at 40 weeks? If this was the case, did they engage? Were u able to be induced and have a vaginal birth or did u end up having to have a section?

All I want is my son here, safe and healthy. I really don't mind if this is through a vaginal birth or a section, I just want what is best for him.

Thanks ladies
Xx

Last edited:
Some babies don't get engaged until your in labour. My baby wasn't engaged but he came early and very quickly and must have moved when i was in labour so they can suddenly drop down. I was still really high and he was in an awkward position a couple of days before so i had no clue i was going to go early. I had no medical intervention but was planning a home birth so had to go in which I really didn't want to do but when it comes down to it all you care about is that your baby is ok. Has the mw mentioned your having a big baby? I would express your concerns to her as well at your next check up so your prepared, induction could take a really long time so you could be best holding out as long as possible, you have a right to refuse induction and get monitored daily which is something you could think about esp if your dates were brought forward at all. I always planned to do this as i fully expected to be late and my dates were brought forward even though i new when i got pregnant as my oh works away! Good luck with whatever happens x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I was told that neither of my babies were engaged. I wanted a sweep with the second at 40 weeks as was struggling with spd but told I couldn't have it because I wasn't engaged. My first I wa induced at 40 plus 5 for medical reasons. My second I went in to labour at 40 plus 5 (she was born the following morning) and even when I was 3cm from an external exam they said the head wasn't engaged. Then on an internal exam they said it was. They said my pelvis was really unusual so you couldn't tell it was engaged from external only! Even if your aren't engaged it's fine as it cAn stay like that sometimes until your waters break during labour

Hate to say it but I wasn't engaged and I was induced 2 weeks later. I don't think he ever engaged. I wouldn't worry about the FH I was measuring small and had to go for growth scans and I had an 8lber!!

Don't worry lovely!! Baby will find it's way out.

Thanks ladies.

Good to know it isn't just my little man being awkward! Lol! I'm definately gonna mention my concerns to mw on Monday.

Fingers crossed!

Grace didn't engage until during labour and labour started naturally. She came along just fine and was only 7lb 14 so not big at all

emma never engaged until labour, but i went 8 days over!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back