Any negatives to BLW?

Sarah13

Reaction score
I've been reading up on weaning a lot just lately and planning to go down the BLW route as it seems so logical and makes the most sense to me but I've only read and heard positive things about it, I'd like to hear both sides so I'm aware of any possible problems that might arise if any?

Mess, mess and more mess! Other than that it's been amazing. It does take quite a lot of time and imagination to come up with new and interesting finger foods though

Thought it would be quite messy! Luckily have a dog to Hoover up the mess might be a bonus lol! It does sound like good fun for them. Do you find it hard when your out and about?

I found it difficult because of the mess tbh -I'm a bit of a clean freak and was trying to tidying up as Lizzie made mess which was impossible!
Also, although I knew milk was still the main source of food, I was having problems with getting enough breastmilk so wanted to know that Lizzie was actually eating enough to keep her full - I think if I was bottlefeeding I may have been more relaxed about the actual amount she was eating.
So yeah I kinda gave in and did finger foods for lunch then a spoonfed tea....which kind of defeats the point lol!

Hi - my first introduction with BLW was with my Goddaughter, now 2. She was a *difficult* baby and she still doesn't sleep great at night etc but she has the most amazing table manners and will eat anything. BLW really worked for her and I was really keen to do it myself.

But with Emma's weight issues I am happier knowing that she has actually eaten something so I spoonfed breakfast and then she has finger foods / whatever I am having for the rest of the day. Also we don't eat until she has gone to sleep at 7, and this time with my husband is very precious to me so she would not really eat with us much, as i would not be willing to eat any earlier before he is home from work.

If she was a healthy weight I would love to do 'proper' BLW but a bit of both is more realistic for us. I don't mind the mess and a bit of brocoli keeps her entertained for ages!!

It is messy and it can be frustrating seeing food you've lovingly made chucked around! Also it is easy to become obsessed with what they've actually swallowed. I am a bit of a control freak so I've ja to force myself to chill a lot, and it does get easier.

People's comments And Unsupportiveness are difficult to deal with and frustrating too.

But, I can only compare myself to oter mums I see TW and I watched a friend practically force feed her baby when she'd clearly had enough, so obsessed was she with "finishing" the bowl of purée shed prepared. I found it quite upsetting. I'm obviously not saying everyone TW does this though!!

But I said to someone again, for the last 6 months I've had no idea how much breastmilk Arthur has been drinking - oz this and ml that - so why become obsessed With amount of food intake now?!

But I said to someone again, for the last 6 months I've had no idea how much breastmilk Arthur has been drinking - oz this and ml that - so why become obsessed With amount of food intake now?!

That is so true, I'll remember that when we start. I guess as long as they still take milk it doesn't matter to start with

What is BLW? I've yet to do research on weaning methods, defo wont be starting til 4 months tho

:)

What is BLW? I've yet to do research on weaning methods, defo wont be starting til 4 months tho

It's baby led weaning which means the baby is in control of what and how much food to have. Food is considered fun before one, you let them entirely feed themselves and skip the puree stage so you start at 6 months.
These are good links if you want to read up more
http://www.babyledweaning.com/
http://www.rapleyweaning.com/
You give them various foods your having for dinner and they sit with you to eat. They don't eat much to start with just play with it really so it's important they still get plenty of milk. It makes total sense to me, I'm reading a book on it just now, just wanted to see if there were any negatives to this approach I haven't thought of.

only negatives I can think are the mess, peoples opinions and that it takes time so you have to roll with it.

so many positive, was soooo exciting and fun watching him learn about food. now 16 months he loves his food and eats everything :)

Have fun! xx

Thanks for the links sarah i've got them saved. I dont want to start solids til 6 months but would consider it after 4 if i thought it was necessary. BLW sounds like my worst nightmare, i hate mess with foods, but i suppose its good for them to have a mess about with it and learn ect. I'm gonna have a think about it over the next few months. I suppose one of the downsides would be eating out (can you imagine!! lool)

Eating out is when it's best! You can just give them food to play with while you eat in peace. Much easier than heating up jars and taking it in turns to entertain lo while you eat. We have eaten in most of the high street chains (pizza express, nandos etc) and never had a problem. I usually just do a quick sweep up of the floor with a wipe and the end of the meal and the staff always say I shouldn't have worried

Def agree with catty. Was in John Lewis yest with my Mum having lunch and lo had his own tray with food on it and was happily eating away. 2 tables away there was a couple
Trying to spoon feed their baby - the dad was cutting up the mums meal, and shed grab the occasional bite, but really her lunch was left until the dad finished his then they swapped. I'm sure mums sausage and mash had gone stone cold by then.

Does this sound similar to BLW -

When my eldest was weaning, i'd boil her some veg or whatever & give her a couple of bits on her highchair & also feed her some with the spoon. I always gave her a bit of whatever it was to eat herself, unless it was something runny like soup or the like. Or is there a no spoon policy?

I'm gonna read up on those websites when I get the chance

Its similar but you give the spoon to baby. one of the main principles is to let them feed themselves and not help them

we are very excited about starting BLW. only negative so far (cos we haven't started yet lol!) has been peoples attitude to it, i.e. oh no think of the mess, i don't like to see children eating with their fingers etc. We've stayed really positive about it all and involved everyone who will be taking care of H in reading up and attending weaning sessions etc so fingers crossed it will go ok.

I must admit i would love to try BLW but finding peoples attitudes to this very difficult!

With my eldest a did a mix of TW and BLW i would spoon feed her her breakfast cereal but she would have finger food for both lunch and dinner, this worked really well for us. Never heard of BLW 4 years ago tbh :)

Its funny about people mentioning the mess, but you always get mess however babies eat and you just delay the mess with tw, all babies learn to feed themselves at some point!
Other peoples attitude is def something I've noticed too but I'm determine to prove them wrong!

I'm lucky that the mess doesn't bother me, though F's not really had much to create mess with yet! will be fun in a little while though, as we're going to meet OH and a friend for lunch (coffee and paninis) so I'm taking some steamed carrot sticks with me :) we're also going out for lunch tomorrow but we're going to a cafe that I know serves food I can give LO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back