any dentists/dental nurses? *updated- b'feeders pls read..*

leckershell

Reaction score
I just had a mouth numbing injection and temporary filling.. is this safe for breastfeeding? I have to have a cast filling too in 2 weeks.. is this safe?

I asked the dental nurse I had but she didn't know, and by then I'd left the actual dentist's room and already had the stuff put in :?

Any ideas? :?

I am not sure so I would give them a quick call.

I had an injection and a temp filling at around 5 month pregnant and would think that it would be ok to breast feed. Best check first though. xxx

They're so rubbish I can't believe the nurse didn't know :roll:

I've just called my doctors and I'll have a call back after 6. Will let you all know what they say. If the worst comes to the worst I'll express off my milk and throw it away and give ryan formula for the night.. but still
:wall:

It's fine... I had my crown replaced (it fell off :roll:) when I was breast feeding Tia and they gave me mouth nubbing stuff so they could file the tooth down smooth... (rather uncomfortable without drugs I can assure you) Then but a temporary cap on while the new crown was done, and then they fitted the crown two weeks later...

The temporary fillings are usually made from a resin.. it would be the amalgamate fillings (the ones mixed with two different metals) that have always troubled me in general regardless of bfing... I always get the white ones.

Well the doctor didn't know.. :?

After much research on google, it seems that squiq is right and temporary fillings are made of resiny stuff. the one I have is a sort of white colour at least.

So I should be fine for now, but to make sure I get a white filling in 2 weeks time not a black one.

It just stupid that the dental nurse didn't know the answer.

I have a rather large hole in my tooth that needs filling - went to the dentist yesterday and he said it would take a few trips to sort it, but that I would have to have a white filling (the temp ones) as the metal ones aren't 100% safe in pregnancy (which is reassuring as my old dentist was perfectly happy to whack one in! Glad I cancelled that appt!) I would presume then that it was best to avoid whilst breastfeeding :hug:

The only thing thats annoying me is that I've already had one of these white fillings in my now 'half-tooth' and it came out 2 weeks later bringing more tooth with it! I'm getting to the stage where I just want the tooth out, but I don't actually want to have one less tooth! Maybe replace it with someone elses tooth :think: Any offers :rotfl:

monster_munch said:
I have a rather large hole in my tooth that needs filling - went to the dentist yesterday and he said it would take a few trips to sort it, but that I would have to have a white filling (the temp ones) as the metal ones aren't 100% safe in pregnancy (which is reassuring as my old dentist was perfectly happy to whack one in! Glad I cancelled that appt!) I would presume then that it was best to avoid whilst breastfeeding :hug:

The only thing thats annoying me is that I've already had one of these white fillings in my now 'half-tooth' and it came out 2 weeks later bringing more tooth with it! I'm getting to the stage where I just want the tooth out, but I don't actually want to have one less tooth! Maybe replace it with someone elses tooth :think: Any offers :rotfl:

They're trying to fix mine - I had a filling in it before which came out, and now this tooth is close to beyond repair :( But it's a visible one and I already have one out.. I don't wanna look like gappy :( (the other one wasn't my fault :()

Sounds dead similar to mine - mines not visible though, but it's one of the molars that is kinda pivotal when you're chewing. I'm always getting food caught in the gap which is :puke: especially if I am out and about and can't clean my teeth or use a toothpick.
I no longer chew with the right side of my mouth but food still manages to find its way in there and get stuck. I hate dentists but if I leave it any longer I have a serious concern it will get infected. Oh the joy!

Keep me updated on yours hun :hug:

Tbh honest if it were me I'd rather the nurse was honest and said she didn't know rather than pretend she did and just say yes - they can't know everything

just to let any breastfeeders know, i went to the dentists again today for my permanent filling and was told that the filling is safe but after the injection (the one to numb your mouth) i shouldn't breastfeed for 12 hours.

just thought that may help someone. x

cheers to whichever mod moved this :) i edited it and it was originally in offtopic so i didn't have much choice! :)

Hiya Im a dental nurse and just thought Id put your mind at rest as long as the temporary filling was a white filling or something to that affect it is fine please dont worry. Pregnant or breastfeeding women cannot have amalgam (metal) fillings because of the mercury in them which can harm the baby. As for the crown as long as the dentist does not have to drill into any metal fillings it should be fine. As for the local anesthetic we tend not to administer it if we can help it and it may be something to talk to your dentist about but please dont let that worry you as we have had pregnant and breastfeeding women that have been given the LA I think its just a matter of personal preference although with a crown it is pretty much unavoidable. Mabey you could discuss the option of booking in an appointment for the crown when you have finished breastfeeding if you are worried as the tempoary filling will probably be ok to stay put for a while. Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing much of this information because I am breastfeeding and have plans to maintain my teeth this year. To the dental nurse, thank for clearing up the confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back