any childrens nurses/docs on here ? - UPDATED

rhian85

Reaction score
christopher is suffering from some kind of digestion proplem. he is 12 months and still on puree, only he screams severly after evry meal and i mean reall agony scream, his back arched and u can see the reall distress. these episoeds can last 3-4 hours and start 3-4 hours after he has eaten ,after these episodes his poo can be black/greeny colour. we just cant get him to eat puree let alone real food.

he has been admtted to hospital so many times but when we get there he has gone thru it and cried him self to sleep. so they let him go. however he had a very very bad time this afternoon so we took him to GP surgery screaming and they got a spare doctor over within minutes, he saw how arched his back was and the severity of his screaming and admitted him.

hospital gave us the choice of staying over night and they can observe his eating/screaming 2mrw but not do anything over night. or to come home and have his dealng consultant ring us firt thing to get him in for eating/poo obs and poss a scan on his tummy. so we opted for that one no point him being in a dirty hospital over night for no reason.

but we get 1-1 treatment fro mhis consultant 2mrw. can anybody tell me whats causing this ? hospital dont seem to know. he also has yellowish skin but liver function is fine. ???

so so confused and worried
:cry: :cry:
Rhian

I'm sorry I'm no help but I wanted to reply just to say I hope you get some answers tomorrow! :pray: Please let us know how it goes! :hug: :hug: :hug:

I asked my mum,she's a nurse.First thing she said was "I'd take him to the doctors."When I told him you had,she said it sounded like a stomach obstruction,or if his temperature was up,a stomach infection,gastroendotritis or something.Then I said about his skin being yellowish and she said get him up to casualty incase he's jaundiced :shock: Good luck anyway,hope he's ok soon

his temps are all fine, and they have done a beliuim (SP) count and that was fine so hes not jaundice but still yellow. i was thinking he may have a stomch obstruction, but this has been going on for months now and its upstting to watch him go thu this. i mean he is 1yr old and still on bloody puree and radly eats that. however when he does he ends up in agony, the poor poor baby he probly sees food s a threat now. just want it sorted and to help him , he shouldnt have to suffer like this. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Could it be a form of reflux? That can cause agony when the baby eats.

i was going to say reflux, sounds horrible, if it was an obstruction he wouldn't be opening his bowels and would be vomiting, sorry i haven't a clue, keep us posted x

Aww poor baby :( I'm so sorry; I really hope you get some answers tomorrow and that Christopher is better soon :hug:

My neice had similar symptoms to your LO. She was a bit younger though, I think just a few months old. She was poor eater and would barely take any milk at all. She cried and screamed a lot of the time. After tests they found that she had a form of blockage/constipation. I think it wasnt picked up at first because she did poo so they didnt think it was constipation. But there was still a blockage of some sort, her poo was squeezing out around it, if that makes sense?

Hope you get some answers tomorrow.
:hug:

Jen79 said:
My neice had similar symptoms to your LO. She was a bit younger though, I think just a few months old. She was poor eater and would barely take any milk at all. She cried and screamed a lot of the time. After tests they found that she had a form of blockage/constipation. I think it wasnt picked up at first because she did poo so they didnt think it was constipation. But there was still a blockage of some sort, her poo was squeezing out around it, if that makes sense?

Hope you get some answers tomorrow.
:hug:

ahh that sound helpfull thankyou....ohh he has been treated for refulx and has had no effect.JEN what kind of treatment did she have and how was it detected ?

his consultant rang he is going to see us in a double appointment on mnonday

Christophers consultant rang, he is booking us in for a double appointment on monday but he told me he has reviewed the notes from wednesday and he has told us that he will asses him on monday but it sounds as tho he will have to se him in alder hay to do an endoscopy (camera down the throat to see intestines) under anathsetic inorder ro have a good look at his bowel/tubes so we can either diagnose or rule out

caeoliac disease,
irritable bowel !!!! :shock:
a small blockage,
a tube that has a narrowing / twist.

so looks like my poor baby may have to have surgery :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sorry to hear Christopher is poorly. :hug: Alder Hey is a fantastic hospital with a very good reputation, so he will be in good hands. Please let us know how he gets on . :hug:

rhian85 said:
Christophers consultant rang, he is booking us in for a double appointment on monday but he told me he has reviewed the notes from wednesday and he has told us that he will asses him on monday but it sounds as tho he will have to se him in alder hay to do an endoscopy (camera down the throat to see intestines) under anathsetic inorder ro have a good look at his bowel/tubes so we can either diagnose or rule out

caeoliac disease,
irritable bowel !!!! :shock:
a small blockage,
a tube that has a narrowing / twist.

so looks like my poor baby may have to have surgery :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ahhh hun I'm so sorry about your LO... I have a narrowing in my small intestine where my illieum is... its horrible to have an adult... I can only imagine it's a 1000x worse for a little one :shock: ... On the up side... a lot of these ops to remove blockages or repair/remove narrowings are now preformed through a laparoscopy so are far less invasive and take less time to heal :) . I know it doesn't help much, but Tia had an op when she was small and I was still dead worried... :hug:

Hopefully they will find out whats wrong and I also hope he doesn't have some sort of bowel disease as you mention above but just a blockage etc, because that's much easier to put right... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sounds awful :( Hope he gets on ok!

Has he been like this since weaning? Did you notice that he was funny with certain foods? Coeliacs (sp) normally have an intolerance to gluten (my grandad has it really bad), have you noticed he's worse after having foods with gluten?

The reason I said about reflux is because recently I was looking for info about it for DS and a lot of what I read about how babies with acid/silent reflux sounded like your DS.

well we are off to see the consultant today @2pm so will update when we get home..so nervous :(

the consultnt has given him another type of medicine we have to go back in 3 weeks to see ifit has helped and to arrange a transfer to alder hay hospital for a belerium(SP) mean and a endoscopy.

so looks like were off to alder hay but at least the have a dedicated team to help him there our local childrens ward is usless staff just have not got the time of day 4 you.

Did he give you any further idea what he thinks it is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back