Anxiety and medication

Clara89

Reaction score
Hey everyone , as soon as I found out I was pregnant I came off my anxiety medication which I was taking 40mg of citalopram. I've done so well to be off it 5 months , recently the last 2 weeks I've become really anxious , and it's upset me that the feelings I had before have come back.Ive booked an appointment with my gp just to discuss this , and not sure if I've done the right thing booking the appointment.I know my hormones are prob not helping but I don't wana feel crap throughout my pregnancy . Just wondering if anyone took any medication during pregnancy

I came off mine too. Took a couple of months for it to get out of my system but once it did my anxiety grew. Still growing.
Speaking to your GP is a good idea. Speak to your midwife team too.

Try to fill your time with things that relax you and talk to ppl.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I came off of mine wen I found out I was pregnant, was on serterline and propanol. The advice my consultant gave me was that I could take my serterline but propanol reduces heart rate and that a should avoid taking it with been pregnant. I had up and down moods and thinking irrational things now am booked in for another c section. X

And also forgot to mention midwife said if a needed I could be referred to therapy for the anxiety during pregnancy x

Thanks everyone , nice to know others are going through it ... I was coping very well considering I had it bad before I started medication ! Now off of it it scares me to over think things all the time , going to just try and not think of the bad and think of the good ! ... I have self referred myself to the perinatal incase I need more help or they may be able to help more aswell during my pregnancy x

I had to come off mine too... It's been really hard and I've had a lot of melt downs recently but doctors/midwife have said they are happy to send me to therapy if needed. Try looking up mindfulness classes near you as that is amazing to help you control your anxious feelings xxxx

Yeah I will have a look into this ! I no there are some safe medications to go on and sometimes you have to weigh up the balance of risks and how you feel yourself but I'll talk to the doctor about that , I have been referred to the anitinatal mental health so that may help xx

I was told to keep on mine at reduced rate 20mget and I've been doing great. I've been on 20 through all my pregnancies. I think it's better to stay on it and keep the anxiety low it will really kick in towards end of pregnancy

Thanks everyone well I went to my gp today and he said I can stay on the medication and has put me back on 20g of citalopram ! ... My partner has been amazing and has reassured me that he's not leaving me ever !!! Silly hormones make you think so much rubbish lol xx

Just thought Id add my experiences. Had anxiety for 12 yrs, diagnosed 2 yrs ago. had Citalopram for approx one year, stoped myself 4 months before preg.
The cure for me, change the way I think.
I you tubed ALan Watts, Wayne Dyer etc. The Wayne Dyer film 'The Shift' was what literally changed my life.
Dumped the crap friends, started again in some ways. best things I ever did.
You can get over anxiety and I know with last pregnancy (as I had anxiety and wasnt diagnosed) that it was hell. I even went so close as to terminate because I couldnt accept the changes and hormones.
But, lessons learnt and now I have DD and DS on way.
I had to accept that I was selfish. Odd but true, Selfish I was always thinking 'why me' why this why that''.

I highly recommend self indulgence and CBT didnt really help me that much either, I did it all alone.

Hope any of some of the above helps any anxiety-ers'!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back