Antibodies detected in blood

Toria111

Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten me on this? I had blood tests done last week and midwife has just called to ask me to come in ASAP for more tests as antibodies detected! I'm Resus negative, and had anti d shot following miscarriage in May so hope it's to do with that.

Hi Toria,

I'm rhesus negative too, but as this is my first I'm not entirely sure what it all means yet, but I know I'll be having the shot at 28 weeks and until then will have my Blood tested regularly. I know that having antibodies can potentially be harmful to your baby if your baby has a different blood group to you (rhesus negative is a bit special) but for now let them do their tests and see what they say. Try not to worry too much my dear!

xx

I've got antibodies in my blood too, they were detected at 28 weeks. They weren't able to identify exactly what antibodies mine are but I'm just awaiting the results of repeat bloods to see if the levels have increased or if they can now be identified. Basically the antibodies can sometimes attack the baby's red blood cells if they are not compatible with baby's blood type. But only some types of antibodies are harmful to baby, anti d is one of them but just because you are rhesus neg it doesn't necessarily mean its that, I'm rhesus neg and its not anti d that I have.

I really panicked when I found out, especially because I didn't know what antibody I had and if it would be harmful or not. I looked everywhere for some solid info but its really limited. But my mw was very reassuring - she told me its not terrible and it's actually quite common. My levels were very low at 28 weeks so she said they are unlikely to rise and that sometimes these things can even show up as a blip then disappear on the next test. I hope this is reassuring to you too.

Also, like I said, most antibodies won't cause baby any harm. If you (or I for that matter) happen to have one of the harmful types we will be closely monitored as will baby. I think it tends to be towards the end of pregnancy that levels rise more, by which time if baby was compromised then they could be delivered. The most common problem it can cause for baby is jaundice which can of course be treated fairly easily and effectively.

I know how you're feeling though, I've had a few weeks of worry over this myself and its horrible but unfortunately all we can do is wait and see.

Hope this helps xxx

Thanks so much, that has put my mind at ease. I remember seeing a thread by you about this a few weeks back but couldn't find it in a search.

I had these blood tests with last pregnancy which ended late may and all came back fine, so have a feeling it's the anti d that's still in my system. I can deal with jaundice though, I just think the worst every time there's a blip like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back