Antibiotics during pregnancy... good / bad..?

Discussion in 'Forum Friends' started by Anna Marie, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Anna Marie

Anna Marie Well-Known Member

I am 6 weeks pregnant with a minor chest infection, doc just gave me some amoxillin 250 mg tablets to take... just wanted to be sure these would be OK.. he knows I am pregnant so i am sure he would not give them if not OK but I am extremely paranoid and very precious about this pregnancy after my m/c in Aug...

any knowledge of these antibiotics..??

thanks very much
    :wink:

2. Rachael

Rachael Well-Known Member

Hiya AnnaMarie

It's my understanding that drugs such as amoxillin, are usually safe, but benefits should overweigh the risks associated with taking any antibiotic.
    If it's a minor complaint that will remedy itself, it may be worth avoiding. However if the infection is likely to get worse and cause further problems, I'd be tempted to take it.

Hope this helps

[​IMG]

3. Layla

Layla Well-Known Member

hiya

my doc has just given me 250mg of Flucloxacillin today.

she knows im pregnant so it must be safe

xxx

4. hayley

hayley Well-Known Member

One of the girls in my office caught every type of infection during her pregnancy... she was prescribed anti biotics quite a few times.. she ended up having a healthy baby girl.

Don't worry the doc wouldn't give you anything that could cause harm to your bean.

x

5. Anna Marie

Thanks everyone,

I have decided to give my body a couple more days to fight the virus by itself.. if feeling worse not better by Friday I will take the anti-biotics..

just want to have a healthy time to give my bean every chance to be healthy too...
    xx

6. ToriElla

ToriElla Well-Known Member

I've had about 3 or 4 courses of antibiotics so far, the doctors and midwives seem to think it's fine. I think the further on you are the safer they are too, ie some pills they wouldn't prescribe too early in pregnancy.

7. Skidoo

Skidoo Well-Known Member

8. Anna Marie

thanks for that skidoo..

will give myself till Friday...

anyone else had a bad cold / cough etc during pregancy??? Just feel so lousy and being a little bit nauseas does not help!!!!!

xx

9. Jessika

Jessika Well-Known Member

I have just had the cold from hell and my MW said a few lamsips a day was about all i could take as decongestant is not good for you, however, i have also take amxycillin and it is perfectly safe to take during pregnancy - i would suggest you start it before Friday as the infection may end up causing more harm to your little one that the medicine!!

Look after yourself - hope you feel better soon xxx

10. Sarahe

Sarahe Well-Known Member

Hi Anne Marie,

I had a cold when I was about 14/15 weeks and after 3 weeks of letting nature taking its course I went to the doctors who prescribed Amoxillian and it cleared my cold and chest up within week.

I would start taking the tablets it takes 2/3 days to get into your system as they are a low dose antibiotic which is safe in pregnancy.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon

Sarah