Antenatal?

amanda maxwell

Reaction score
Hi girls,

My midwife gave me a leaflet few weeks ago bout these classes, but giving up work now im a bit skint..they were about £50 so I haven't been to any antenatal classes. Are they a load of crap? should I be going to them?

Mandy xx

I went to the free ones which were very informative being a first time mum but i wouldnt of paid for them to be honest. Xx

How did u find out about the free ones tho? no ones told me about them?

My midwife told me at either my 25th or my 28 week appointment and she pointed out a number on my notes to ring and book them, they were at my local hospital. Have a look on your notes, if its the same as mine on the second page (which technically the last page as it is folded in) it has patient information and it has numbers on, there should be a bit that says "parent education" and a number opposite, give that number a ring and just ask if they do any free classes and hopefully they'll be able to help you. I must warn you though the NHS free ones get full up really quickly, i struggled getting onto the classes i got. Xx

Free ones are run by nhs. You speak to your hospital or mw about them and they will help you sign up I was told about them around 28weeks .I had already booked nct which are admittedly very expensive really t I did both for me nct was brilliant and nhs pretty pants but iv heard fab reviews from others on the nhs ones so I think it depends on the area. X

My bloody midwife is useless. She asked if I had booked the one she gave me on the sheet and I told her I couldn't really afford it and she just said 'awww' pfft I'll have a look on my notes now, but is it too late?

I've found my lessons quite useful but haven't learned anything you can't learn from reading a book or reading on the internet.
The NHS classes should be free of charge. Your midwife sounds very useless giving you that answer! xx

Ah thats not helpful!! Hopefully not. They do get cancellations so fingers crossed you'll get on one. Give them a call tomorrow. The one i found really helpful was the labour and birth. She told us how far apart the contractions should be before we call, what to do when waters break and what colour they should or shouldnt be, pain relief, if we can or cant use the birthing centre, took us for tours of the birthing centre and the ward if we cant use the birthing centre. Xx

I've definitely learnt some helpful things in my nhs class but had to book months ago. Fx for you hun. Xx

I'm going to free NHS ones, I'm just going to Parentcraft classes they're called. I just rang up the hospital and the lady booked me in. First class is 7th August, can't wait :) xx

My local surestart centre also did antenatal classes. So I did the NHS one and the surestart one, they both gave the same information but the surestart ones was a smaller group so easier to talk and ask questions. Both were free.

I think they are definitely worth it. A lot of the stuff you probably already know but they do show you the implements/tools they use so if you end up with say a ventouse delivery, you know what it is and how it will work. It just saves time on the day with them having to explain everything to you and stops you panicking a bit.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back