Antenatal Classes?

kazlin

Reaction score
So far I haven't booked any classes. With this pregnancy I've suffered a lot of sickness then had a VERY nasty chest infection. Going to a class was the last thing on my mind.

How many of you went/are going to them?

To be honest I don't really feel that bothered now!

I went... we even had "exercises" but I only went once because I was ill the second time round and well the first time round was a bit pointless for me and I'm not one of these people that "fits in" with the crowd.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: So I just never bothered.

I went to all my antenatal classes the first time round... it was just a waste of time then... they tell you loads of things, but the reality of having a real, breathing, living child is VASTLY different, and no one can prepare you for that with "lessons"... :)

Im not bothering TBH. Like Squig says I think the reality of having your own child is entirely different and there are soooooooo many different methods anyway whose to say that what they teach you is the right way for you?
I would rather muddle through on my own and rely on my PF friends to help me if I have any major problems!
Plus the classes are of an evening and by the time it gets to 6pm Im pooped so havent got the energy to go even if I wanted to!

Me & OH went to a parent-craft day booking 2 weeks ago and found it very useful, all the methods of pain relief are discussed & what to expect when going into labour i.e contractions e.t.c it was a 7 hour day class and so much was talked about. All i can say is that its worthwhile going, even if at the end you feel you didnt gain much from it, at least you have had the opportunity.

I know you say you have not been to any yet but it might not be to late, give your midwife a call & ask for the number to get yourself booked on a class.

Me & OH have got another class booked which is for breathing excersises through labour, were not going to that until the end of Jan though.

T xx

My hubby and I went to an evening couples antenatal class for 6 wks every tues night (just had our last class last night). I personally found it very useful discussing breathing in labour, signs of labour/when to go into hospital, things that can go wrong, pain relief etc. I also found the sessions on breast feeding very helpful. We had a couple of sessions with a physio who explained things like exercises to ease discomfort and post-baby ex etc and I really found that helped. I guess it depends on how experienced you are with babies/pregnancy but for me I found the information invaluable.

i didnt go to any.. i would have liked to, but i didnt want to go on my own either.

but i was thinking, when ou're in labour, i doubt you are going to remember what has been said are you?

iwhen you're giving birth you are going to do/breathe in the way that feels right at the time... not remember what you've been told to do.

like i said though, i would have gone

My OH and I are going to our first one tonight, for me not only is it a good opportunity to learn what to expect but it's a good chance to meet other people and possibly make new friends, all of mine live in the city about 5 miles away and the only one who lives near me is moving on Saturday :-(

I have been to two and have a final one next monday night. We have found them very usefull. Its good to see different instruments and have the midwife talk about their experiences nad what to expect.

Last week was complications and feeding. To be honest even if you dont want to go, its worth it for your husband or partner as they can see things like forceps and clamps and not have to see it in the day and get freaked out. :lol:

Its also good as in my class we have all swapped numbers and addresss as we are all due simular times we can meet up if lonely on mat leave and talk about stuff.

Ive also been on relaxation and breating and thinks its good to know how it all helps and fits in to help labour along. If you are uptight nad not breathing you will slow labour down. your partner neds to remind you and htats why they are there. they need to feel as tho they are involved and helping you.

Mine start in the next few weeks....

I want to do as much as possible to do with the baby and also im hoping it will be a good opportunity to meet other mummies to be...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back