Antenatal Classes

jennyr1985

Reaction score
How many people had these? I was given a number by my midwife for a local class through a health centre, and was told to book in a few weeks before they started. I finally got through today (they start 25th Feb), but they are fully booked!! :cry:

I then tried ringing NCT line and arranging another class/course, but all I got was an answer machine telling me they try to get back to people within a week!!Im panicking now because I want to know what happens during labour, and you also get a hospital visit. Im terrified of the labour, and feel I need to know a little bit to put my mind at rest.

Has anyone had the classes? Were they useful?

xxx

I went to the NHS ones at the health centre and I thought they were a load of rubbish, although yours might be really good.

They just made me even more scared of labour and bringing up a baby, and I never learned anything I hadn't already found out on here.

I have heard that the NCT ones are really good though...

Good luck getting booked in :D

Poor u Jenny!

I have my 3 booked for Feb, the first is labout and pain relief, the second 'bosum buddies' about breastfeeding (women only thank god!) and the third life after baby to discuss routines etc.

I want to go but i stipulated that i would not go to anything where they make you pant or get into labour positions. My midwife said they are optional as when you have the baby it all goes out the window anyway! OH is going with me to the first and third ones.

I dont think that they will show you anything you can tfind on the internet so dont worry.

We have chatted loads and wish you lived nearer i would love to have a girly friend to go with.... :(

I will report to you anything i learn thats important.

Love to you and bump.......

Thanks!I just read on the NCT site that the courses are 8 weeks long! So I may have had Bean by then! Is it worth paying for the classes, or should I just get a DVD and make my OH watch it with me? (I will have to stop him covering his eyes though!lol)

xxx

Thanks kelly! Hugs to you and bump!!

I wished we lived nearer too, I need a pregnant buddy up here to calm me down!lol! Hope you are well.

xxx

jenny, surely if you insist and have a stomp they will find classes for you to go to. i started the 1st class with my midwife but then went on holiday so when i came back i couldnt attend these anymore, obviously (thank god because many of the women were dreadful!!)

because of this i was put in another group which is further from mine but the ladies are nicer. i still have 3 to go but to be honest i hope baby pops out before then so i wont be finishing them :D
as kim said they basically discuss what is said on here, and i have learned more on the forum than elsewhere. they do go over the best positions for labour etc.

and if you want to visit your maternity i suggest you go in your own time. thats what i did! i turned up like a lost soul in front of closed doors and the midwives vary kindly took me in and showed me EVERYTHING! and answered all my questions -though that depends on the work they have

don't fret about the classes, you will be fine without them, and if you do go take it as a laugh! good luck
pip xxxxxx

I think mine must be the only hospital in the country that doesnt allow a tour of the labour ward :(

I will try the looking lost trick and see if they are kind enough to take me in. I feel better already, so thankyou ladies! I don't really want to pay money for the private antenatal classes if Im not going to be able to finish them.

I suppose when I go into labour they will be a midwife at the hospital to tell me what to do, well there better be!lol! :lol: Im not seeing my midwife for another couple of weeks, I'll nearly be 33 weeks by then, and shes very hard to track down. It's prob too late by then to book classes, so DVD here we come! :)

xxx

I booked my antenatal classes at 12 weeks, my midwife did it at booking in, she said leave it any later and I might not get in!!

kim- actually my maternity doesnt allow tours either. i discovered this when i went to my first class!!

i guess i was just lucky in being balsy enough to turn up where i shouldnt have been lol and the midwives there were soooo sweet, they even took me round the bedrooms so i could see the new babies awwwwwwwwwwww :D

Hi Jenny

I agree with Kim - my antenatal classes aren't that good, everything the midwife and physio have told us so far (3 classes finished - 2 more to go) I've already known from reading this site and magazines. I hope I dont' sound like a know-it-all because I'm far from it! and totally scared about labour as well.

I've heard really good things about the NCT classes but round here it's a condensed course held over a weekend then the following wednesday evening and I thought it'd be too much to take in and for £140 there was other stuff that needed buying!

Kim - you're not alone, our hospital wont allow it either although the midwife did sneak us in to a delivery room quickly as she knew the manager on duty!

HTH

Lucy
38 wks

Ive just ordered Help!I'm having a baby dvd. It's especially for pregnant mums and partners who can't make the antenatal classes, and it looks brilliant. I did my research, and it looks as though it covers all the questions Im worried about, including conception, birth, and the first 6 weeks. Its over 2hours 30 mins long, so it must have loads of information in it.

Im going to watch it as soon as it gets delivered! :D

xxx

Hi Jenny, I was in plaster cast ankle to thigh so I couldn't go to mine. I didn't particularly want to as I am a bit sceptical. I heard from a lot of people that they weren't good, and that when they went into labour all the breathing techniques etc went out the window, and that you deal with it in your own way :shock:

I would put the pressure on to your MW about getting booked in to NHS one's if you are keen, I'm sure they have an obligation to get you some sorted out. :wink:

Good luck x

kim! - i have 6 and a bit weeks to go before my due date and have yet to set foot inside the hospital i will deliver in!! i will actually have baby in liverpool wommens hosp, but all of may appointments are at fazackerly hospital ANC or my dr's, and my antenatal classes are held somewhere completely different again!!
so going into labour is certainly gona be fun! - know where the hosp is, but its not just a maternity hosp, its a womens only hosp, so they do all kinds of regular hospital stuff too ( like getting your tonsils out an stuff!) so dont know where to go once i get ther!! lol

jenny, have booked my anc's they start on the 7.2.05 - 4 weeks before my d date, dunno nothing about them yet - have rang twice to double check, and they've promised im on the list - but still waiting for a letter thru the post confirming, dont know what the classes cover -but am going anyway - will let you know how the first one goes
shamu

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back