Antenatal Classes?

SesameSeed

Reaction score
Hi guys, has anyone signed up to antenatal classes? Are these offered free of charge through nhs, or have you opted for the ones through NCT that cost between £130 - £250 per couple?

What can you recommend? X

I'm going for antenatal as my NCT will be 195 and I can't afford that. They also said if you call your local NCT place they do coffee mornings which you can attend for free. So you still get to meet parents near you. This is what I'm planning on doing.

Our hospital only offers online classes so not something I want so have I wanted to actually meet people and have a proper conversation I don't know why they got rid of the classes? So I have to pay whatever to attend a class, the midwife is putting me in touch with a local group but not until I get to 24 weeks, so she hasn't told me the cost yet. Have looked at NCT but it is a lot of money like you say but has been highly recommended. I looked at there baby first aid course and have decided to go through St Johns Ambulance as its £20 cheaper.

They are free here in Ireland. I didn't attend during my first pregnancy and am not attending this pregnancy either. I went to one on my first and left after 10 mins, I was bored to tears. So I just googled breathing techniques and practiced them at home. When in labour I left my body do the work and just went with it. They are so badly organized here. I just told myself I would get through it. I defiantly would not pay to attend. I would attend if you think it will benefit you. X

My friend is a nct antenatal tutor and they are really good. They cover more than the nhs xx

I've applied to attend our local free antenatal classes, but still haven't heard back from them even after chasing - which doesn't fill me with confidence.
I've just contacted Daisy Birthing which offers a 6 week course for £60, including hypnobirthing. I'm happy to pay £60, and hopefully still attend the free ones.

http://thedaisyfoundation.com/daisy-birthing-active-antenatal-classes/ - it actually looks really informative and has great recommendations on other forums (also a lot cheaper than others!)

I'm not really sure what to expect from antenatal classes, and frankly I expect to be bored (or terrified) to tears

Last edited:
We're doing NCT and St John's paediatric first aid :) xx

I just booked on to my hospital's free classes, just two of them, they're very similar, supposed to be focusing on positive labour/birth practices, and one includes the tour of the delivery unit etc.

I really wanted to book onto the hypnobirthing course they run, but the woman said there aren't any dates for upcoming courses yet, so I have to keep checking the website :/

I was quite shocked at the cost for NCT but I think we are going to book it with it being our first x

Can i ask you all what you actually want out of antenatal classes? Xx

For both my partner and I to be better prepared for the birth and early days. But also to meet people who are in the same position if that makes sense

Yes, I'd say pretty much the same as SesameSeed :) Also breastfeeding advice, we're going to access the sling and nappy libraries and it seemed a bit pointless getting a sensor mat without doing the paediatric first aid to know what to do if we had to! We're also very aware that our social network is likely to change, so it will be nice to meet other couples locally who are in the same situation xx

I did both NHS and NCT and can honestly say there was the same info in both, they perhaps elaborated more in the NCT with certain things, but nothing I didn't know as such.

I think next time Ill do antenatal just as a refresher.

But I think either do the trick. I actually remembered more stuff from the NHS one because it was closer to birth. I do know that people like the NCT classes more for the social aspect with mums in the area etc, which as someone says you can go to the coffee mornings.

My antenatal classes were all the people from my area anyway, because I was sent from my MW clinic, so it was people all due around the same time in my area.

I plan on joining a B&T group with my toddler and new LO, so I dont think we will bother too much of the social aspect.. Id just like a refresher of how a labour/parenting might go.

No class can actually physically prepare you whether it costs or not :p

xxxx

I never had those classes with breathing exercises etc and actually didn't miss it :) I did go to pregnancy yoga during my first pregnancy and started that again this week. I go to 'normal' yoga classes when not pregnant and like to have my trusted teachers there to ask questions. I think it doesn't really matter what you choose, as long as it suits you!

Well after I rang up YESTERDAY and booked on two courses and couldn't book the hypnobirthing one because there were no dates past March and the Feb & March courses were fully booked, I thought I'd check the webpage just now and the May dates were up! (they weren't yesterday).
So I've just phoned up again and booked on the May hypnobirthing classes, it's every Wednesday in May (4th, 11th, 18th, & 25th) from 6-8pm. :lol:

Did you know nct now run your nhs classes too xx

I've not been given any info on the nhs courses.
Do I get given the info or have to research it myself?
xx

I got an A4 piece of paper with all the classes listed on it at my booking in appointment.
Ask your midwife though. Here you book your own classes by ringing the maternity department at the hospital, but I think in other areas you book ante natal classes through your midwife.

Could I just ask... My NHS class starts on 7th March for 6 weeks, is that too soon and should I try for a later one? It finishes in April and I'm not due until June. I thought it should be at the very end so it's fresh in my mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back