Antenatal classes

Pregnot

Reaction score
Hi just wondering when does everyone else's start?

Mine dont start until I'm 36.5weeks! Is that abit late do we think??

And then it's every week for 4 weeks taking me up to 40 weeks

that's no use to me is it??

Last edited:
It's still useful hun as they cover labour and aftercare for you and baby and bf etc. Obviously if baby comes early you'll miss some though! :) There's a couple of ladies in mine due just after course finishes so they might not make it. I've found it more useful than I thought, although I am the class know it all thanks to this forum! ;-)

Slightly earlier might have been more ideal. But the odds are you'll get to go to all of them. And if you don't then thats only a good thing right?

I had finished mine by 36weeks...but I'd strategically booked them so it'd mean I got time off work. I've not gone on any this time. I remember the group getting smaller last time as they were having their babies early :)

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

There are only 2 here. The first was on Wednesday and it was rubbish! Either I've read too much and somehow become a know it all or the midwife couldn't be bothered. The aftercare one is Wednesday coming and I really hope it's better (run by a different person).

It made me realise why people go to the NCT ones and I guess we would if we could afford.

Ours run every other month for 4 weeks, and your supposed to attend after 28 weeks. There's someone in my class due 31st July I think,, and we have this week and next remaining so hopefully she'll last it out! We also have someone there due end of Oct, which seems far too early to attend!!!

I'm due the week of my last antenatal class lol! I wouldn't go but I think its useful for the other half to be able to ask questions to someone who has a hell of a lot more patience than I do at the moment, its definitely helped him to feel more involved and informed x

I started mine last Thursday at 37+5 and my last one is 2 days before my due date - the only problem I've found so far is its uncomfortable sitting for 2 hours on plastic chairs! X

There are only 2 here. The first was on Wednesday and it was rubbish! Either I've read too much and somehow become a know it all or the midwife couldn't be bothered. The aftercare one is Wednesday coming and I really hope it's better (run by a different person).

It made me realise why people go to the NCT ones and I guess we would if we could afford.

Totally understand hun I poo pood nct until I'd done them and the nhs one and like urs my nhs one was rubbish I actually found out that nct is cheaper if your on a lower income as they give a discount and you can book well in advance and so pay in monthly installments I didn't know this before and was too late when we booked and earned too much so ended up paying with credit card oupps still well worth it.
To pregnot you may miss things but being that most people go 39-42 weeks especially if first baby you will prob be fine xxx

i had my first one last sunday but thats cuz i didnt book it til late and then just another one tomoz night n thats it. to be honest the only reason i was goin was to have a look around the hospital and at the pools and stuff which is what i did :D i didnt really find them much use as iv read lots of books and got me info from them so knew most of what they were tellin me. i dont know about other ladies areas but my area does a daily birthing plan session at a local childrens centre and that was brill, they went through all the birthing plan session in ya green book at the back :D xx

Mine are nhs and are really good, so they're not always rubbish. I'm glad we didn't waste money on nct. X

I never even got told about the NHS ones in my area, but I've been told by other's who have had them that they weren't up to much. We paid for the NCT ones. Hubby was a bit apprehensive and thought it was a bit of a waste before we had them. I had them between 33-35 weeks. Having had the labour, breastfeeding advice from the NHS through my midwife- hubby has never been so glad that we went to the NCT. The info we got was very one-sided and extremely brief. I think it can vary though. I know of some people who have had NHS classes and have been very happy with them.

Mine are nhs and are really good, so they're not always rubbish. I'm glad we didn't waste money on nct. X

I'm genuinly happy for you and so glad they aren't all as bad as mine! My one did labour positions on a projector. Then breathing excersises on a handout we were . I was given gave conflicting information on certain things to what I fort was to be true and also they made the whole birth experiance seem quite scary. X

My favourite midwife did our NHS classes. She's brilliant, funny, old school, and very laid back.

The most useful thing about the NHS classes was the information specific to your hospital. So details on what they expect you to bring, procedures, parking (the deal with abandoning the car if you feel like you're literally about to give birth and don't have time to park!), was all quite useful.

I also went on the water birth class at the hospital which was excellent and again very specific to the hospital...as different places have different "rules" about who can and cannot have a water birth.

So would recommend any specific classes your hospital might run.

----------------

My favourite midwife did our NHS classes. She's brilliant, funny, old school, and very laid back.

The most useful thing about the NHS classes was the information specific to your hospital. So details on what they expect you to bring, procedures, parking (the deal with abandoning the car if you feel like you're literally about to give birth and don't have time to park!), was all quite useful.

I also went on the water birth class at the hospital which was excellent and again very specific to the hospital...as different places have different "rules" about who can and cannot have a water birth.

So would recommend any specific classes your hospital might run.

----------------

Yes this is true even though mine were not great they were useful as u say for hospital specifics. I was told reside table always in room and that they suggest you bring your own pillow etc every hospital is diff tho xx

I don't have mine until I am ... 36 weeks. I though that was quite late but I guess they hope your baby isn't early so all the stuff they tell you stays fresh in your mind. If they had asked me if I wanted to go earlier I probably would have said yes because you never know what might happen! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back