Ante natal learning.....birth plan

Positive37

Reaction score
So full day ante natal yesterday..... And learnt so much.

Making me think about my birth plan now i really wanted to go with flow but seems u need some kind of plan in place.
So far im thinking .

tens machine at home
Water birth but get in. Bath at 5cm.
Gas and air

Ha all sounds too easy...just didnt like sound of pethadine i am not good on morphine and its same poppy family.

I can always get out birthing pool and have extrampain relief.

I am oredering the hypno birthing cd and book just want some tips.

Whats everyone else decided...?

My Bitth plan is one a4 sheet it reads along lines of who my birth partner and back ups are, and contact nos , then equiptment that ud like to use a ball and not use a pool, then labour decisions that I'd prefer to remain active and please encourage me to not lie on my back that I would prefer to not use forceps or suction but I take the midwife and drs advice and will follow thier guidance that I'm aware of an episotomy and what it entails and accept their professional judgement on if one is needed or not.
Pain relief section that I am flexible I have hired a tens machine I'd like to try I am happy to try gas and air and will use an epidural as a last resort.
Trainees
I am happy for trainee Dr and mws to be present provided they are in no way compromising the care baby or I recieve
Then iv done an after birth section which iv put my own preferences
Traditions in my family it's traditional for the father to have the first cuddle so please allow tom skin to skin then me if possible. That I would prefer baby to be wiped clean before being handed to me. That I want the injection for placenta but I want the cord to stop pulsating first and that we give consent for vit k to be given to our baby
I guess it's all just preferences though I don't think anyone follows it to the letter they go with it but it's nice to have something there about yourwishes iideally I based mine on the nhs template one but then re wrote it onto one a four sheet for my own ease

Last edited:
interesting, quite a few things to consider! I am homebirthing all being well so that limits epidural and pethidine use, which is fine as i don't want either anyway. Obv I can change my mind and be wheeled into the hospital at any time!
have my pool and planning on getting a tens machine (they're cheap on ebay).
I want the vit K injection for baby. Als for homebirths they can usually come to you and do the newborn checks in the first week, so might not need to go into the hospital at all. how great is that?

xx

Thanks hun thats rrally interesting. ....where did u see nhw template? ? I like your family tradition.so.sweet

Wow home birth sounds fab.....all.in comfort of own.home.i Hate hospitals.

I think for me a home birth would be the total opposite of relaxed I would worry so much even tho mid wives are there with you it's still too scary for me.I think you are very brave !

There is so much to think about. I won't be doing a birth plan this time (not that I wrote one last time) I just told the mw my wishes but they all went out the window during labour.
This is my list this time: I definitely don't want diamorphine and would like to be as active as possible. No students drs (student mws are fine but with my little boy there were 2 drs +3med students all watching my delivery and I recognised some of them from work!). Vitamin K injection for baby and injection to deliver placenta for me. I think I am going to say no to a episiotomy, if there are issues then I want a c section if I can purely because of problems from my previous delivery (I'm not actually sure if I can request this) x

I think for me a home birth would be the total opposite of relaxed I would worry so much even tho mid wives are there with you it's still too scary for me.I think you are very brave !

I'm bizarrely not scared at all. Got a good feeling about it. Mws will be there all the time, won't be left alone like can happen in hospital and wont be changing shifts halfway through! Plus hospital is VERY close to us so can be rushed in worse case scenario.
Nothing is more personal than labour though so you have to go with whatever makes YOU feel comfortable. xx

I'm bizarrely not scared at all. Got a good feeling about it. Mws will be there all the time, won't be left alone like can happen in hospital and wont be changing shifts halfway through! Plus hospital is VERY close to us so can be rushed in worse case scenario.
Nothing is more personal than labour though so you have to go with whatever makes YOU feel comfortable. xx

Completly agree and I think it's wonderful that we have so many choices these days to make us feel comfortable. :) I am glad you are relaxed and not worried that is the best way to be and I'm sure most home births are a relaxed and amazingly calm experiance which I do hope yours will be :) I just know it isnt for me personally as I'd be far to worried about complications that said I guess it saves u worrying Uv packed everything too ! :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back