Another stupid BF question

l_maclean

Reaction score
How do you know when your LO has had enough??

Georgia's quite a windy baby so I usually have to wind her in a feed. Sometimes she falls asleep on boob.

Last night I fed her, gave her to DH while i went for a bath, but she ended up unsettled and rooting, so I fed her again in the bath.

I know we're both still learning, But just wondered if anyone had any tips on how to tell if she's done, or just needing a break.

Xxx

I only fed for just over a week with my lo but I honestly just let her feed whenever. If she looked like she wanted boob, I let her have it, if she fell asleep the. I let her sleep. Just follow her lead for everything at the moment. She'll let you know when she's done so even if you take her off to wind her then offer her the same boob again and see if she wants more. Then it's making sure that ones been drained as its still technically one feed even though you've taken her off for a minute.

I would try and get away from thinking about how much she wants or for how long etc. just have lots of skin to skin and let her go crazy on the booby when she wants too :)

Thanks mel. I just feel a bit guilty if I've put her down to sleep, and she's actually still hungry. Xxx

I always figured that if they fall asleep then they're content. It didn't even cross my mind that Paige might not have got enough or anything like that. I was in a total daze and just gave her boob whenever she made a sound lol. At one point she spent 6 straight hours just on the boob :shock:

It is a struggle getting into a pattern with it though. Have you got any apps for keeping track? They might help put you at ease. You're doing really well with it :)

I just used to sit for hours with LO attached to me and he'd sleep/feed/sleep/feed. When they get a few months old then it stretches further inbetween and they're more alert to be interested in other things. Then at 3 months it gets much longer between, 4 months is great and a proper routine sets in then by 6 months I was down to 3 feeds a day. (We coslept til LO was 1 though and he did used to latch in the night too, but I used to sleep through it mostly)

Sometimes taking boob away stirs them and they get all worried and want to get back on and will feed for comfort, sometimes it's just comfort sucking with no feeding and other times they are full on starving lol It's hard to know what they want for a while and I know with baby #2 I'll still have to try n work it all out over the first few months.

Kynon used to just stop doing big sucks once he's had enough when he was tiny, look near their ear to see if the whole jaw is moving and they are swallowing. I used to often just sit and watch tv or come on here letting him suckle and sleep. They will soon tell you if they want more. We still have no set routine i just feed him when he wants only difference now is i know when he's done as he either falls off fast asleep, starts smiling and babbling to me or clamps his mouth shut and moves his head!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Harry tends to pull his head away and bury it in my belly when he has done. Mind you he gets fussy at night and he would be on my boob all night if I let him!! Newborns will feed all the time sometimes so dont worry if you pull them away too quickly coz they will tell you when they have had enough!!
xxx

thanks, we're feeding on demand, so im not too bothered about the when/routine bit. it was just cos she's done the head shaking thing a lot - thats why we've had to use sheilds cos her latch wasnt happening. but it means she gets quite windy, and its hard to tell when she's needing to go back on boob, or is settled iykwim.

will possibly just go with the sleeping thing mostly. xxx

Lewis gets silly when he's full but not sleepy and just hangs out with his mouth on my nipple and sometimes tries to talk into it like its a microphone.

When they fall asleep before they're full it can be a bugger. Not a terrible idea to keep an eye on the time and feed them when they first show signs, before they cry for it and end up overtired. I need to practice what I preach though I lose track bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back