Another one about sleep...

EmiLou123

Reaction score
I'm still having real issues with sleep and my lo. He's now 19 weeks old, not slept through once. He used to sleep 5 hours then wake 2-3 hourly for feeds. The past couple of months he's been going 1-2 hours and takes forever to settle some times, for example last night at 12 he was awake for over an hour. I even moved us into the coldest room in the house incase he was over hot and I still couldn't settle him. Then he woke at 2, 3.30, 4.30, 5 and I had him in bed with me from 6-7 and he woke up screaming till I got up with him, he's now happily chilling on his play mat... I'm exhausted and have a nasty cold so really need my sleep more than ever at the min. His naps during the day vary from 20 minutes to 2 hours! Any tips any one?

Thanks xxx

tapatalking x

Firstly rule out colic, reflux, teething or other pain. If you are sure it is not any of those then maybe he is overtired or overstimulated. Also as your lo sleeps 5 hours straight do not feed him during those hours, try to settle him in different way. If you are not sure whether he is hungry or not just check the rooting reflex by putting your finger in his mouth if he sucks it and calms down then he is not hungry.

Firstly rule out colic, reflux, teething or other pain. If you are sure it is not any of those then maybe he is overtired or overstimulated. Also as your lo sleeps 5 hours straight do not feed him during those hours, try to settle him in different way. If you are not sure whether he is hungry or not just check the rooting reflex by putting your finger in his mouth if he sucks it and calms down then he is not hungry.

Thanks for your reply. He's on infacol for colic, tried teething gels, calpol, dummy pushing, nappy changing...

tapatalking x

We have Ewan the dream sheep which I use but not tried white noise. He hates being swaddled, he's an arm swinger/foot kicker!

tapatalking x

Is he is sleeping bags hun?

James can't sleep unless he is in a bag as he is a proper leg flapper.

Does LO have a dummy?

xxxxxx

No, he gets too hot in his bag. Such a warm baby! He does have a dummy for sleeping and I try putting it back in and he pops it back out and we keep doing that for a bit but he just gets more worked up... I just don't know what to do... I'm certain he isn't getting enough sleep (and neither am I!) Xxxxx

tapatalking x

Is he bf or on formula? Is he getting enough milk in the day so he's not hungry at night?

Is he in with you or in his own room? Is there anything that could be disturbing him? White noise is a good idea to block out background noise. When he wakes up does he cry or just wake up? My son will 'wake' a couple of times in the night, but now will nod back off after a few minutes on his own. If he is fussing I will go in and give him the dummy and it's only if that doesn't settle him, I'll pick him up to feed him and settle him.

Maybe don't change him unless he's pooed. I also don't take LO out the room he sleeps in until morning. We did this from about 8 weeks and it seemed to work well to avoid him waking too much.

Is he bf or on formula? Is he getting enough milk in the day so he's not hungry at night?

Is he in with you or in his own room? Is there anything that could be disturbing him? White noise is a good idea to block out background noise. When he wakes up does he cry or just wake up? My son will 'wake' a couple of times in the night, but now will nod back off after a few minutes on his own. If he is fussing I will go in and give him the dummy and it's only if that doesn't settle him, I'll pick him up to feed him and settle him.

Maybe don't change him unless he's pooed. I also don't take LO out the room he sleeps in until morning. We did this from about 8 weeks and it seemed to work well to avoid him waking too much.

I'm exclusively breastfeeding on demand. I feed him when he's hungry, if he's not hungry he won't feed... He's still in his moses basket at night next to me.

When he wakes during the night he starts huffing (breathing out heavily through his mouth) which then turns into full blown tears...

I don't usually change him unless there is poo or nappy leakage but as it has been so hot the last few nights I thought it might cool him down.

I'm waiting for a call back from my hv see if she has any advice... xxxxx

tapatalking x

Cay only just started sleeping through last week, and he's six months old on Thurs.

The cold, hard thing to do, is next few nights when he wakes wanting feeding... Don't. Just give him his dummy or whatever, and wait for him to go back to sleep.
You said he's gone five hours before without a feed, so you know he can do it, it's just that he won't.

It's bloody hard, but after a few nights, he just won't bother waking up because he'll know he won't get any food/attention.
Lots of food, hugs and praise in the morning for sleeping so well.

Even if you can make him go an extra 10 minutes tonight, then another 10 tomorrow night... It's a crap week for you, but pays out in the long run.

That's if you can do it in the first place. Xx

To be honest I think I will try anything right now. My hv never called back! But I've just spoken to my mum who said about giving him a bottle of formula before bed to see if that helps as maybe he's not satisfied... I have tried the dummy pushing but he gets so wound up... I sometimes think I must be doing something wrong... xxxxx

tapatalking x

If he gets reflux then could if be laying flat thats the problem? You could try tipping the mattress or basket slightly so that his head is a little higher than his feet.

I'm exclusively breastfeeding on demand. I feed him when he's hungry, if he's not hungry he won't feed... He's still in his moses basket at night next to me.

When he wakes during the night he starts huffing (breathing out heavily through his mouth) which then turns into full blown tears...

I don't usually change him unless there is poo or nappy leakage but as it has been so hot the last few nights I thought it might cool him down.

tapatalking x

I was going to suggest the same as your mum, maybe try a formula top up before bed.

My other suggestion is perhaps move him into his own room or cot? My son out grew his moses basket quite quick and would startle himself by flapping his arms around and hitting the sides. We don't have room for his cot bed in our room so he went into his own room and since then he doesn't wake until 5am.

If he gets reflux then could if be laying flat thats the problem? You could try tipping the mattress or basket slightly so that his head is a little higher than his feet.

His moses basket is propped up at the head end :)

tapatalking x

I was going to suggest the same as your mum, maybe try a formula top up before bed.

My other suggestion is perhaps move him into his own room or cot? My son out grew his moses basket quite quick and would startle himself by flapping his arms around and hitting the sides. We don't have room for his cot bed in our room so he went into his own room and since then he doesn't wake until 5am.

Trying him in his own room tonight... scary stuff. I'm sat downstairs next to the monitor...

The other week he wouldn't take from a bottle so need to get next size teats before I can try formula.

He's been in his room an hour and already screamed once xxxx

tapatalking x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back