Another Folic Acid Thread.

PeanutButter

Reaction score
Im getting all stressed and confused over this now... Doc told me to start taking 5mg of folic acid.
Is taking 5.4 too much? Because I cant find any more than 1mg and less than 5mg... I could take 4 of the 1mg ones everyday but that would be expensive!
I want to carry on taking my pre conception vitamins which has 400MCG folic acid... It says online that i should stop taking my vitamins and just take 5mg of folic acid because thats the most important.
Is there a pre conception supplement that had no folic acid in? ... I cant take a normal vitamin because it has vitamin A in it.
Any suggestions from you lovely ladies? xx

Not that I found. I'm allergic to the synthetic folic acid so take solgar brand folate, the natural stuff. It's 800mg if that helps?

You are completely fine. Max dose of folic acid is 10mg. This is from the bnf (British National Formulary) which is the source of medication information in the UK. i was on 5mg plus the 0.4mg in pregnacare.

Maybe you can phone your docs and make an phone appoint to get a perscription made up for you? Did he give you any paperwork? It's probably on your notes that your gp can access.

I have to pay for prescription though, and id only get a months supply (if thats what they give?) for £8.60. I can get over 1000 on ebay for 16 quid aha. xx

If my maths is correct
1000 1mg at £16
1000 ÷ 5 per day for 5mg is 200days. £16 ÷ 200 is about 9p a day?
3 months of gp at £8.60..
28×3 = 84. £8.60 ÷ 84 = 10.2p

Then your getting a true prescribed one not one if the net and it's much less pills to take. I know when I've finished my course I'm asking for a longer prescription if poss. All my other long term meds are on a 6 month prescription.
(Been on at least 6 long term meds that I can name off the top of my head I've probably been on more! Lol)

Thanks, aha!!
Ive just orderd some. Next time i go docs ill ask for a prescription next time I go. I just got some 1mg ones and ill take 5 a day. Until i go the docs at least x

I'm taking 5mg on prescription from last pg... I got maternity exemption and they said I could use until it expires but feels wrong to now no baby. Dr said they would re-write script anyway of 3 months. Midwife advised you can't od on folic acid so I take 5mg plus my boots pregnancy vitamin with .4 in.
Midwife also said sure start centres do pregnancy vitamins really cheaply so you could get from there and use money saved towards folic acid prescription. You only need the extra 5mg if you have high BMI xxx

Usually the GP prescribes these. I only know this because alot of the cancer patients that I work with usually have it on prescription for the 5mg.

Your consultant will or should send your gp a clinic letter detailing your consultation and what she has advised ie the 5mg so I'd phone gp and tell them and they'll perhaps get the clinic letter or just give you it without too much fuss.

xxxxx

Jazz it's also prescribed for multiple mcs as well I don't have a high bmi I'm "normal" (my bmi 23) and have been prescribed 5mg x

Last edited:
Jazz- it's not only high bmi I have to take it for a blood condition. I have to take 5mg

Last edited:
Just a note - it's best to take methylfolate, I take Thorne 5-MTHF, you can buy it in 1 or 5mg tablets. Not sure if it's available outside the US though!

Just a note - it's best to take methylfolate, I take Thorne 5-MTHF, you can buy it in 1 or 5mg tablets. Not sure if it's available outside the US though!

It is! I take it :)

We usually only have the ssynthetic type here the folic acid. It's hard to request certain types or varients other than what's given to you.

Omg. I took extra folic acid tonight ... I took my normal vits then I have a bottle of just folic acid so decided to take 2 of those which are 0.4mg ... now my nostril and back of my throat is stinging and have an awful taste in my mouth like blood. So I've only taken 1.2mg what's 5 gonna do to me.

Last edited:
Oh no!! When I took folic acid (boots' usual dosage) for a few weeks I came out in a rash all over my legs and thighs and felt very sick. Could it be an allergic reaction as you've upped the dose?

I dont think so, it went away quite quickly. Ill see if it happens tonight and then if it does ill have to go see the doctor lol x

Thorn 5 is available on Amazon, I'm thinking about taking them as read it's helpful if you are older and ttc x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back