Anomaly Scan

Juice

Reaction score
The closer it gets to my anomaly scan, the more I feel like I don't want it. I have developed somewhat of a phobia of ultrasounds. Since last year when I had my MMC, every time I have a scan, I feel a horrible dread in the days leading up to it, and then do a lot of panicking on the day. I can't stop thinking of all the terrible possibilities and as much as I try to be positive, meditate, talk about my feelings, etc, I can't move past this feeling. I've tried so hard to help myself and there's nothing else I can think of doing other than just avoiding it.

Firstly, is there anyone else who has felt like this? What did you do?

Secondly, is there anyone here who chose not to have their anomaly scan? If so, why? And would you make the same decision again?

Thanks x

I think everyone is nervous to a degree before a scan but you sound like you have a proper phobia??

Have you spoken to your MW about it?

I really wouldn't advise against the scan though.... I think it's important to have all the information. Knowledge is power and all that. If there was *God forbid* any kind of problem then you need to know and deal with it.

You do what you need to do but I really think you need this scan.

xxxxxx

Oh i totally get this. The bloody scan room at our hospital has been the seat of disaster for us so many times. Having said that, we are now 4 for 4 on good news there, so i am beginning to relax.

Its def worth going for the anomaly scan, apart from anything else, how lovely to see the baby when its bigger and everything is more than likely to be fine in there.

The things that get me through are:

Checking with my doppler that i can hear the hb the night before

Telling myself over and over that this pregnancy is completely different from any of the previous ones.

Allowing the crazy out here a bit and getting reassurance!

I felt kind of the same when I had my 20 week scan.

I was so excited for the 12 week, and everything was marvellous until a week later I got a call to say could I come in for a "chat" as my downs results came in at 1:26!

I had the cvs & everything, thank god, came back normal and healthy but when the time came to have my 20 week I was at times hysterical because I just didnt want to be on cloud 9 to then be told something was wrong!

I'm glad I did go for it though, they told me he was a he and that everything is growing and developing how it should do and I was so relieved I didn't stop howling for the journey home!

Remember, there's only a tiny tiny chance that anything is wrong and 99% of the time the things they spot are tiny and can easily be fixed or clear up themselves :)

As Carnat said, you gotta do what you gotta do, but they wouldn't offer these scans if there wasn't a need for them :)

xxx

im feeling the same but this is beacause at my last 20 weeks scan i had some bad news i defenatly would not advise not goin to it it is soo important and i dont think people realise just how important it is what uve got to remember are the chances of being told something is wrong with baby are so low at this point and most of the time if there is a problem then they can be fixed, imagin not goin for the scan and not find out till birth that baby had something rong? im defenatly not saying ur baby is gonna have any thing rong but god forbid it did at least with this scan it will give u time to ajust and look at all the potentail things that can be done to help baby and for u to come to terms with it, im sorry if that comes across abit harsh i dont mean it in that way at all i just want u to be aware of how important it is :) xxx

I know what you mean about the importance of knowing if something is wrong. I know that if there's something wrong that can be easily fixed after birth such as a small heart defect or something, and I don't know about it before birth then it could be fatal. And this knowledge that missing the scan could literally be the difference between life or death is the thing that's stopped me cancelling it already.
I worry about the things on the list in the leaflet that are described as "not compatible with life". If my baby has a club foot or a cleft lip or an arm missing or down's syndrome, I could deal with all those things. What I'm petrified of is them telling me that my baby isn't going to survive.

I know that having the scan is the right thing to do, but when faced with fear, my instinct is to run away.

I just want it to be over with. It's 6 days away but I just wish I could do it now because I'm tired of not being able to breathe every time I think about it.

Last edited:
i no excatly what u mean as that is excatly what i was told at my last 20 week scan i was told that my daugther had something called triploidy and she was not compatable with life im not gonna lie it was the hardest thing i have ever heard in my life it was awful and please dont take this the rong way but if ur baby does have something like this then again it is something u need to find out about beacuase i was told if i didnt find out about what my daugther had the chances of her surviving at any point in pregnancy was zero and the chances of her making it to the end of the pregnancy were pretty much the same but i also found out hat had i no found out what she had it could have also killed me in labour too i no no one wants to hear that they baby is not compatable with life but sometimes life can be a massive prick and throw thing at u that u dont expect and dont want i reli hope it all goes well for u and im here if u wannt chat xx

I know exactly how you feel. I was terrified at all my scans. I refused to go to any of them alone (even when there was 24 hrs between two)

Our anomaly scan actually threw up concern of cleft lip (minor to some people but scary enough) but I did make me realise just how important they are. Even something "minor" like a cleft lip can seriously affect breathing etc, so it really is best to have all the information your LOs medical team might need. X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I know what you mean about the importance of knowing if something is wrong. I know that if there's something wrong that can be easily fixed after birth such as a small heart defect or something, and I don't know about it before birth then it could be fatal. And this knowledge that missing the scan could literally be the difference between life or death is the thing that's stopped me cancelling it already.
I worry about the things on the list in the leaflet that are described as "not compatible with life". If my baby has a club foot or a cleft lip or an arm missing or down's syndrome, I could deal with all those things. What I'm petrified of is them telling me that my baby isn't going to survive.

I know that having the scan is the right thing to do, but when faced with fear, my instinct is to run away.

I just want it to be over with. It's 6 days away but I just wish I could do it now because I'm tired of not being able to breathe every time I think about it.

Ok hun here's the thing iv had twice where iv been told my baby had a not compatible with life condition and I had terminations pre 20 weeks at 16.5 and at 12.5 weeks respectivly. It's the worst thing you can be told and yes it brings a heart breaking decision with it but if it happens you do manage to go on in life and it is very rare. I was so nervous of going to my scans this time in case it happened again then I realised if it had happened again I want to know now. I don't want tobe worrying for my entire pregnancy and iif there is a problem then with 99% of the issues they can and do fix it so never don't go.you owe it to your child to go. This pregnancy every time everything has been perfect. So try not to worry too much the relief you get and thejoy of knowing everything is ok far ooutweighs the risks of being told anything is wrong xxx

Also remember Juice that some anomalies can be given treatment before birth whilst baby is in the womb. Good luck, I'm sure everything will be fine for you xx

Thanks for all your replies and reassurance, ladies :)

I'm going to try and keep myself busy until my scan next week. With rubbish weather and limited funds, I'm just trying to find stuff to do indoors. So far today I've coloured in some pictures from a colouring book I had lying around. Very therapeutic! :) Hopefully if I can just stop thinking about it, I'll be okay.
I can feel baby moving around a lot today so that keeps putting a smile on my face :)

I had a MMC in July last year and it was diagnosed at 12 week scan so I was a wreck at my scans. After the anomaly scan I came out, ran to the loo and puked for about 10 minutes. I was rough! It was the relief that everything was ok after what had happened. It was really important to us xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back