Angular Stomatitis (cracks at corners of mouth)

EssJayPea

Reaction score
Anyone else had/heard of this?

It started as what felt like paper cuts at corner of mouth then increased and started on other side. Now I look like The Joker :-(

Really painful as it hurts to yawn, eat etc. Doctor says it's a lack of iron but it's still not clearing up!

Just wondered if it was common in pregnancy? X

not aware of it been common in pregnancy its quite rare in any case as i have had lack of iron for over 12 years and never had this happen to me but i have found woman who have had it in pregnancy they suggest spra tone its a liquid drink thats high in iron they recommended to take 3-4 a day to help they said you should notice a difference in the next 48 hours but you will have to remember to take it you can get them anywhere.
try it hun i hope it works for you too x dont put lip balm or anything like that on it as it will make it worse x

I get this often.

:hugs: it's horrible.

I get rid of it by smothering the corners of my mouth in Vaseline. Those little lip therapy pots do the trick. You might look like a plank for a while but it does work.

Doc prescribes me daktarin too for it. But the Vaseline usually does the trick.

Low iron can cause it but there are other things that cause it as well.

not aware of it been common in pregnancy its quite rare in any case as i have had lack of iron for over 12 years and never had this happen to me but i have found woman who have had it in pregnancy they suggest spra tone its a liquid drink thats high in iron they recommended to take 3-4 a day to help they said you should notice a difference in the next 48 hours but you will have to remember to take it you can get them anywhere.
try it hun i hope it works for you too x dont put lip balm or anything like that on it as it will make it worse x

Thank you so much for your reply. Just woke up there for a drink and it's agony :-(

Have ordered the spatone from amazon on express delivery and will pop into Asda on my way home from work so I can start it right away (I've been miserable with it for too long now, am desperate!).

Nice to know I'm not alone - even if it's not particularly pregnancy related!

I'll let you know how I get on xxx :)

Last edited:
I get this often.

:hugs: it's horrible.

I get rid of it by smothering the corners of my mouth in Vaseline. Those little lip therapy pots do the trick. You might look like a plank for a while but it does work.

Doc prescribes me daktarin too for it. But the Vaseline usually does the trick.

Low iron can cause it but there are other things that cause it as well.

Hello

Thanks for your reply. I am using daktarin gel at the minute so will persevere as the doctor said that it can take 3 weeks to work. Ugh!! :cry:

Was yours due to any reason in particular? Xxx

Last edited:
I don't think mine is due to an iron deficiency, though I have just been prescribed iron tablets from the doc this week strangely.

I have a terrible scalp and severe sebhorreic dermatitis which flares up occasionally and I think that has something to do with it somehow. The treatment for that is an antifungal shampoo. And angular cheilitis is caused by fungus too apparently.

I hope you get it sorted. If you feel it starting to get sore there use the Vaseline straight away and it will prevent a full blown attack

Hi, I used to suffer with this but mine was a reaction to fresh fruit. I have anaphylaxis triggered by natural aspirin.

If you are eating fruit, peel them as the pesticides are a known irritant to the mouth, particularly from overseas fruit.

Not sure if this is in any way linked to what you are suffering with but it might help. Slap on some sudocrem too that usually helps mine
Xx

I used to get this as a child, vaseline or sudocream or the doctor prescribed something x

I've got terrible cracks at the moment too, although I do get the occasionally so hadn't linked it directly to being preggers. To be honest, I'd put it down to all the salt and vinegar crisps I'd been scoffing to keep away the nausea!!

I've tried all the usual vaseline etc but now in full swing and it's not helping. Will give sudocreme a shot next if the iron drink doesn't help. ...

Thanks everyone :) xx

I have only just got rid of cracks at the corners of my mouth. I always get them when run down. Vaseline or similar is only thing that works for me and yes they are bloody sore :-(

I found that Blistex works better than Vaseline for me - usually clears it in 24-48 hours.

I got this during pregnancy but I always thought it was because of being sick all the time. Im now thinking it might have been iron deficiency as I did suffer from that throughout pregnancy xx

I got this during pregnancy but I always thought it was because of being sick all the time. Im now thinking it might have been iron deficiency as I did suffer from that throughout pregnancy xx

I'm really interested to see someone else got it during pregnancy and especially as you were deficient in iron. What a strange symptom! And sore too! Xx

hope it works for you hun, everyone i know swears by spatone x

Thanks babe. I'm waiting on my order coming from Amazon and have a big carton of Tropicana coming in tomorrow's shopping to wash it down with :) xxx

good, well have my fingers crossed for you x

hey hunni have you managed to start taking them yet? if so have they started working? xx

Had them delivered to my parents' by mistake so haven't got them yet! Silly mare that I am.

Using sudocreme at the mo which is soothing but I look a bit daft :) xx

no doubt, well better get them hunni and start taking them and keep me updated x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back