Angry at my scan date

MissSara

Reaction score
Like other i have been so excited waiting for the ostman to arrive, and he arrived this morning with my scan date which is the 18th Feb, can you believe it by then i will be aprroaching 16 weeks, i rang them and that is the earliest they can do, i know i have my doppler but im still not sure if i'm picking up a hb or not, definatley some movements though.

OH knows how upset i am at this and had offered to take me for a privite scan if i'm still peed off next week.....lol, just don't want to spend money that could be going on bubs thats all.

Sorry for the rant ladies, but i feel better all ready xxx

:hug: That's really bad hun :hug: Will they still do the 20 weeks scan 4 weeks after that? I hope they don't make you wait for that one too :(

Sorry to hear :hug: Is it your local NHS's policy to scan at 12 weeks? Some don't scan till 16 or 20 for the first time.

Re your doppler, you may well not be hearing baby's heartbeat yet, it depends on the doppler. A few tips when using it though might help you decipher what is you and what is baby.

1) Your heartbeat will be slow sounding. You can check you are hearing yours by finding your pulse in your neck and checking it beats at the same time/speed as what you are hearing via your doppler.

2) The whoosing is the placenta. This should tell you things are going ok, even if you can't hear LO's heartbeat yet. It's whooshing, its working :)

3) LO's heartbeat is very quick, like galloping horses, a dun-dun-dun-dun at rapid speed. Also can sound like a steam train a bit. It will be *much* quicker than your heartbeat. So once you recognise your own, picking out LO's will be much easier.

4) Try really low down, right on your pubic bone. Literally on your knicker line (if wearing briefs). Move slowly and from side to side also. Press fairly hard. Try it with a fuller bladder when lying down as it pushes things up and you may get a better sound.

5) If you detect 2 lots of quick heartbeats, don't go jumping to the conclusion its twins :lol: Often LO's heartbeat can be detected in two places.

Poor you :hug:

Oh my goodness - Sherlock has a face!!! :shock:

debecca said:
Oh my goodness - Sherlock has a face!!! :shock:

Hehe I'm not just the dancing dectective fairy :wink: I use it as one of my icons on LJ so figured it couldn't hurt to use it here aswell.

Oh I can understand why your annoyed! How dissapointing to have to wait all that time! Im so sorry hun! :hug:

Now i'm gunna have to move into 2nd tri without feeling 100% sure, oh well at least ive already seen peanut at 10 weeks i suppose thats something.

That's terrible, it's bad enough having to wait to 12 weeks but 16 is taking the pee.

:hug:

As you said though, you saw LO at 10 weeks so its not all bad. They would have dated you at 10 weeks I figure.

Maybe that's why they didn't give you a 12 week scan as you only would have had one a couple of weeks before.

When I went for my 20 week scan at my NHS hospital she asked why they had not seen me for a 12 week scan and I said it was because I'd gone private and had my Nuchal scan done as they did not offer it and that I had cancelled my 12 week scan at the NHS hospital which would have been a few days later. She then said that would explain it as they would have then cancelled my 12 week one anyways as I had already had one elsewhere, even though it was private.

I have to admit I was fine not going for my 12 week NHS scan having had one 4 days earlier and been dated and seen all was well.

I think, as awful as it is for some, that sometimes NHS costs do have to be kept down, and that if you are scanned at 10 weeks or so then maybe they do have to review cases and see if 12 week scans are really warranted.

I agree that probably is why (you had just had one at ten weeks). I was admitted to the hospital just before Christmas for hyperemesis and they wouldn't even do a scan then! I am now AT LEAST twelve weeks and I still don't have a date. I am panicking and freaking out because I can't plan anything, not knowing how far along I am, and I don't know whether everything is okay. I have basically been told by the GP I saw recently not to hold my breath because of the holidays. It's so unfair! By the time I get my scan it will be too late to have two, because I will be past the 20 week point... At least, that is how it is feeling. It doesn't make sense because I live very close to a large teaching hospital. I wish I could afford to get a private scan, not that I know how much they cost, but I am sure it is beyond my price range.

no its not the case as i went to a different hospital for my 10 week emergency scan and when i phoned the hspital of my choice they said that they don't normally take that into account as it wasn't done within their hospital and they normally scan at 14 weeks. So i am just going to have to wait, at least i have a little piece of mind.

The hospital i have chosen is one of the busiest ones in sheffield for maternity as it is a womans hospital, so i guess i should have looked into the waiting times when i chose this.

Ah well :hug: 2 weeks late is not so bad, and less wait time than between 12 and 20 weeks. Only 6 weeks not 8. Trying to find the positives here :roll: :lol: And all the more to see at 16 weeks :)

I guess then as you said, its a busy hospital so they scan a bit later. Some don't have 12 week scans at all and the first is at 20 weeks. I think it really depends on the hospital and the area you are in. Like you I chose which hospital, so have to accept they offer some things others do not, but then I may lose out in other things.

at least you had one at 10 weeks, i'll not get my first till 14-16 weeks!

Hi ya, i had my first scan with Scarlett at 16+4 and then another at 23 weeks. it is annoying having to wait, but it really is worth waiting for, you can see everything. i could see all the bones in her spine and her toes and fingers. im hoping i will be late this time as well so i get to see it again. i actually saw more at 16 weeks than at 23. good luck

How annoying....I know how you feel, waiting til 13 weeks is bad enough, even though I also had one at 10! Can you go and see your midwife or go to the EPU and just ask them to listen to the heartbeat to reassure you? It's nearly as good as a scan in some ways! xx

EPU is for early pregnancy isn't it? I don't think they go past a set number of weeks. Besides, I always understood it to be an emergency service. I'd not want to deprive someone of a scan or something by trying to get an appointment when I didn't actually need one.

Not sure if a MW would try for a heartbeat this early either, but that is worth a shot. Chances are it may not be detected which could in the end be more distressing and worrying. Hence why MW's often don't check till later on. I still sometimes can't find my LO's heartbeat at 24 weeks plus :roll:

End of the day though is Sara is still feeling PG and has had no heavy bleeding or pains, it tells me all seems well and to try to relax and enjoy the time between now and the scan :)

Vert true sherlock, plus i have a doppler and me and OH are enjoying using that although were not certain we have heard an heartbeat, we can hear peanut moving around and no exactly where he is and hear the placenta working well. Thats enough reassurance for now. I'm lucky i already have had a scan unlike some who will have to wait.

My first scan was supposed to be for 12 weeks but when I got my appointment through it was when I would have been 16 weeks cos there was a waiting list.

Luckily I had a scan when I was admitted to hospital with hypremesis (that was the not so lucky bit :lol:) I don't suggest getting sick will slove it :lol: I had my 20 week appointment booked right there and then

They might book your 20 week scan for 20 weeks but they might make it a bit later on since this one is late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back