anaemic or not??? confused

EmmaLou1990

Reaction score
I had my bloods done at my 20 week appointment with midwife 5 weeks ago. Rang up few days later to check result, said everything was fine. Went to see doctor last week due to chest infection and she said on the system it says I have a prescription waiting as I need to take iron tablets 3x a day as I'm anaemic. Went triage due to severe headache on Tuesday that wouldn't budge and when I told the nurse I was on iron tablets 3x a day she said thats is alot so must be very anaemic. Had my next appointment with my midwife today and she rang up to get results of the bloods so she could put them in my notes and said my iron was absolutely fine, no action needed. Its 110. When I told her she didn't seem too bothered and said it wont hurt to take them. So I dont know whats going on. Am I anaemic or not. Being told different things and 3 iron tablets a day is alot to take and I'm sure too much iron can be bad for you? What does everyone else think? X

My iron level was 104 last time I had bloods taken, and was told 100 was the cut off to be classed as anemic. Was told at the time that I could take iron supplements if I wanted as I was so close to the cut off. Decided against it cause my constipation is bad enough, and the iron tablets can make it worse.

3 does seem like a lot to be taking, although I suppose it will all depend on the quantity of iron in each tablet.

If you are unsure, I would certainly check though. Ultimately it is your body, and if you are not sure what you are putting into your body and why due to conflicting information, then worth getting a second opinion.

Can I ask, is this a new thing to be having bloods at 20 weeks? I had mine done at 13 weeks and thought that would be it for bloods taken (unless I need to be tested for OC later on)
I was told my bloods came back fine, but not told the actual figures for iron count or anything... might ask my midwife at the 20 week appointment (in 11 days).

I wouldn't take the iron tablets. Even if you're anemic, eating dried apricots and leafy greens, avoiding tanin (tea/coffee - inhibits iron absorption) and consuming vit C alongside iron rich foods is said to be better. Also Spatone, if you do really need supplements, is supposed to be better than the tablets, less likely to cause constipation and supposed to be more natural.

I'm not sure on 20 week bloods as standard. I had bloods at 12 week appt, and all was fine, apart from being Rh -ve. I ended up in hospital at 21 weeks, so they redid my bloods which is when I found out count.

I know what we get in terms of care in Scotland is different to the English system though.

No they're not standard. I didn't find out until 20 weeks so it was my first booking when I had them done, think the next set are at 28? I'm gonna ring GP tomorrow and not take them untill I know for sure. I have changed my diet since then and eating alot more fruit and veg n broccoli and spinach so I'm hoping that's enough and I don't want to take them as I read it can be harmful for children(not sure about pregnancy). Something's definitely gone wrong somewhere. I took the same ones with my other two but only once. It says there 210mg I think x

I've had my bloods checked at 10 and 28 weeks. They check your haemaglobin level (to check whether you are anaemic) and your antibodies to ensure you havnt developed any against the baby :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back