Amos?

candymycandy

Reaction score
Lb no2 due in 3 weeks and DH and I are struggling to come up with anything we agree on!

We’ve both liked Amos since before I conceived. He’s still really keen and while I like it I’m not sure whether it’s a bit of a bully target come school time? I grew up with such a name (clue in username!) so am conscious I don’t want my kids to struggle like this. Our surname is also somewhat different so maybe don’t want him to have 2 unusual names?

I can't say I love it... I would be worried that kids will make fun of him xx

it's unusual but not sure how or why a bully would target it ? it doesnt rhyme with anything or sound like anything funny. Most people wouldnt have any connection with the name unless there is a famous Amos i dont know about (only know the biblical Amos)

I think just the fact it’s a bit different liz. I’ve never known an Amos?! Thanks KHTW, that’s my worry.

Then the other part of me thinks he’ll live with it his whole adult life and might be a cool name for a grown up?! ARGHH SO HARD!

Thanks for your replies xx

I think just the fact it’s a bit different liz. I’ve never known an Amos?! Thanks KHTW, that’s my worry.

Then the other part of me thinks he’ll live with it his whole adult life and might be a cool name for a grown up?! ARGHH SO HARD!

i know an Amos who is about 60!

That's just it. You cannot know. The way I see it, you pick the name for life, and it is your child who has to live with it. Personally, I'd rather give my child a common name than take a risk of him/her hating his unusual one later but that's just me xx

I’m inclined to agree KH based on my experience as a kid!
Justtrying its Jewish in origin xx

Love Amos. Was on my list but the initial A really doesn't go with our surname. I couldn't make it into anything rude etc. You can always give a more popular middle name so he could swap to that if he preferred.

Id say go for it.. we um'd and arr'd about our little ones name for ages considering other peoples opipions but we loved it so went for it. Now I can't imagine him being called anything else, it suits him so much and literally everyone compliments us on it and love it. We did give him a very normal middle name just in case though! xx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back