Am I stupid?

Discussion in 'Forum Friends' started by sharonvardy, Aug 6, 2005.

1. sharonvardy

sharonvardy Active Member

I am having a home birth and am thinking about hiring a Birthing pool.
    I have read lots of stories about woman giving birth in theses and
    everyone of them good..

My mum says I'm stupid. This is my 5th baby, the other four have been
    born in hospital. Normal on the bed deliveries..

I really like the idea of a water birth but now I feel silly even
    suggesting it!

My mum has a way of stamping on any idea that I have anyway but just
    wanted to get other peoples opinions!

2. beanie

beanie Well-Known Member

This is my first pregnancy. I really wanted a home birth as the hospital where I would go to is where my mum had been very ill and I did not want horrible memories coming back at what would be a difficult time anyway. I therefore wanted a home birth, my midwife was pretty against it as it was my first birth. I found out I had the option of going to a midwife birthing centre, had a tour round there and feel like thats were I want to go. I have also requested a water birth, have always wanted one of these. Again I met with some resisitance, they don't like first time mums having water births apparently but I am stubborn.

This is your 5th child and you know what suits you. If you want a home birth and a water pool then you have one, forget what other people say it is your choice. I have heard good things about water births and am looking forward to having one hopefully. Its meant to be less stressful for the baby and the pain relief is meant to be v good. Ask your midwife for more info, there are water birth classes you can atend in my area so they might have them on yours. The internet also has loads of info too. xxxx

3. minikins

minikins Well-Known Member

Hi,

You are the one giving birth not your mum, I would listen to yourself and go for what you want. And after having a few babies before you know the score so it's sounds good if you can have it at home. Things don't always go according to plan but it's a great thing to aim for.

Ignore your mum, she will drive you mad ;)

x

4. Sarah W Baby Belly

Sarah W Baby Belly Well-Known Member

Stick to your guns!

You have enough experience of birth to be able to make the right deicision for yourself.

Be stubborn! :D :D :D :D

5. littlebump

littlebump Well-Known Member

Beanie - my midwife is a MASSIVE homebirth fan - I said I was interested in a home birth (it's my first) and she told me as long as my pregnancy was healthy then a homebirth should be no problem at all. It's amazing what different advice you can get from different people isn't it?!!

Sharon - I agree with Minikins - your mum will drive you bonkers if you keep listening to her. Things are SO DIFFERENT from when our mums were having children.

LBxx