Am I doing the right thing? ...bedtime

Tulips

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm so unsure whether I'm doing the right thing or actually shooting myself in the foot on this one. We've started putting her to bed at 7 instead of 7.30 as she's very whingey in the evenings. We give her a bath every 2nd to 3rd day (I'm worried about doing it much more than that as it surely can't be to healthy for their skin?).

Right, the iffy issue (bit embaressing): After her feed (in bedroom, dimmed lights) we carry her to sleep. I know this isn't ideal, but if we try to lay her directly into the crib she just ends up scraming the place down. So we end up carrying her around and cuddling her to sleep. Bedtime, as you can imagine, takes a while :-/

I'm just wondering what you guys do? Maybe there is a better way "you are supposed to do it"? If there is, I was sure hoping maybe someone could share! :)

Big happy new years to everyone!!

~Tulips & Ronja X X

Firstly, don't feel embarrased... we were still swaddling Ryan up until a couple of weeks ago, yes 4 months old and being swaddled... I don't care though, it worked for us.

We have always had a rough sort of routine... Breastfeed, Bathtime, Story, Bottlefeed (yes, he's a hungry boy) and then rock him to sleep. He has a habit of waking now when we put him in bed. So, since he's already fell asleep once, he must be tired. So we leave him in the cot, tucked in, hopefully dummy in unless he spat it out, turn on the mobile and leave him for 5 minutes regardless of if he is quiet, or kicking and screaming. Then we go up, turn the mobile back on and then leave him for 10 minutes. If he is still not settling after 5 + 10 minutes, I'll have a think... could he need more food, could he need calpol?

I'll try that and then do the whole thing again. So far tonight was by far the longest time he has taken. 5 + 10 then a hug, then 10... then I went up and put teething gel on his dummy, then 5 minutes later sparko.

It is so so hard though listening to them cry. But if you are strict with it and stick to the times, they will learn. It sounds cruel but it's worked for us. If you can't deal with the crying (I can't) then put some music on and shut their door until you have to go back up. I go into the kitchen as I can't hear him from there.

I don't think it's embarassing to cuddle them to sleep. I did it til quite recently with DS nearly every night.
Now he goes down awake most nights, with his dum and Iggle Piggle and settles himself.

Ooooh I know about that taking a while, I think I spent a month in all pacing with him :roll: I did that with Isaac into his 5month so I find it understandable and it was just easier at the time, when it worked. You could try introducing another way, its just wise to remember any changes can take time, so if they don;t seem to be working after a couple of days, it doesn't mean its not going to.

The NCT have produced a great book on sleeping habits for LO's, it takes into account Mummy's feelings, as well as LO's need to be close, as well as fitting that into our lifestyle. NCT (National Childbirth Trust) 'Help Your Baby To Sleep' by Penney Halmes

As for bathing, I don't bath Isaac often at all, just clean him with cotton wool and water, its especially important not to over bathe in winter months anyway as the dry air from heating can cause skin irritation so they're best left with their natural skin oils intact hehe very best wishes, sometimes they also go through little phases, you may find she sleeps 'like a baby' in a week or so, until you try you don't know :hug: :hug: :hug:

Happy New Year to you too, hope all your wishes come true :)

When I first ready I though What still cuddling them to sleep, then I looked at the age, I think it is perfectly fine, good for bonding. We are quite firm with our lad, controlled crying the lot! but it all only works if you have the bond with your baby. Riley slept in our bed now and then at that age. Nothing is wrong with a cuddle. If you still have to do it near 1 then it is time to change, but I say it did our no harm, more benifits.

Also or lad must be a right scruff he gets a bath now every 2-3 days and hes two, but he smells ok! :rotfl: And he goes swimming once a week! pooooo!

At that age Gabs would fall asleep during her feed and I would always put her down asleep. I was worried that I was making a rod for my own back but I think it was just because she was so young; as when she got a bit older she would still be awake after her feed and I would put her down awake and she was fine.

Since then (about 4 or 5 months I think) she has been fantastic and always goes to bed awake and goes off herself; she likes her own space.

Give it time hun but don't worry too much now; just enjoy your cuddles :D

What you're doing sounds fine. Have you tried swaddling? Really helped us, just used a cellular blanket or small cotton sheet dependng on room temp. Jude always went asleep in my arms when he was little, had no trouble getting him to sleep by himself in cot when he got a bit bigger. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back