am i doing it wrong

leanne

Reaction score
zack feeds during the night and latches on and feeds fine, when he has had enough he eventually unlatches himself but if i try to put him back in his moses basket he wakes up and crys until he goes back onto the boob. he wont tollerate a dummy. last night i fed him while lying in bed and he fell asleep. so did i and he slept for 3 hours til his next feed. bliss. thing is i know your not supposed to let babies sleep in bed with you but im woundering if this is just an old wives tale and just a scare theory. do any women on the forum breastfeed in bed and let their little one stay in bed? thing is if i dont i wont get any sleep. already feeling very run down. any advie would be afntastic, feeling very first time mother-ish!!! :oops:

Hey :)

A lot of women cosleep with their babies when breastfeeding. It's fine as long as you aren't on medication, drunk, don't smoke, aren't exhausted etc and that the baby only sleeps next to you and can't fall out of bed and is under their own blankets (not your duvet) and doesn't have a pillow etc.

Brody sleeps next to me in bed all the time, sometimes I do manage to pop him back in his crib but about half the time he stays with me. There are loads of positive reasons to co-sleep, it does wonders for bonding and can even help babies regulate their breathing and thus avoid cot death. I did it with my first son too, and never felt bad about it.

Be careful with you duvet and never put it over them, never co sleep if you are very very tired or have had a drink. Apart from that, enjoy it, it's lovely!

Hi Leanne

Olivia does the same! Falls asleep on boob then the minute I put her back she wakes up and wants more food (although I'm not sure if it is more food or comfort). Like you I sometimes feed her lying down and often wake up realising we've both fallen asleep - I was worried about this but Rosieroo, Urchin and some others on here were great for providing information on how positive co-sleeping is and when DH goes into the spare room next week as he'll be back at work I think I'll co-sleep more then as like you say you'll both get a better nights sleep! I was concerned that Olivia would get too used to it and then I'll have trouble geting her into her own cot etc but my friend has successfully coslept with her 3 boys til they were 4 months then they went into their own rooms and own cots.

The last couple of nights though Oivia has settled better when I've put her in her carrycot - things that I tried that was suggested to me here that worked:
Putting a hot water bottle in her bed before putting her back in the carrycot (removing it before I put her in)
When laying her down I was shu-shushing for a minute or two and kept my hand on her tummy to let her know I was still there.
The above worked sometimes and other times it didn't :roll:

You're doing a great job Leanne, keep your spirits up - I know how you're feeling

Lucy
Olivia 1 wk 4 days

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back