All is well with extra chromosomes!

So_hopeful81

Reaction score
I wanted an area for this sort of a thing as I wanted people to understand my story and know that everything is ok!

At 14 weeks I had the CVS procedure, as at 13 weeks, 4 days my nuchal scan gave me a 1:2 chance of having a baby with chromosomal abnormalities!

At 14 weeks, 5 days I received the phone call to tell me that my child was going to be born with Downs syndrome!
My OH and I were petrified, and a little part of us began grieving for a child that we would never have, as we came to terms with a different child we would meet!

However, we were not ready for what we would encounter next! We were condemned by many people (friends, family members and medical staff) for deciding to continue our pregnancy!!! I found that far more devastating than that phonecall!

Every single appointment we attended, I would be told how terrible my life could be, how having a 'downs child' (WRONG TERMINOLOGY... Child with downs not downs child, yet consultant didn't feel this was important!) would be hard for my eldest daughter, how I would have to look after this child for the rest of my life ... Etc etc etc...

I dreaded appointments! Finally my OH snapped at 32 weeks, when a registrar apologised to him about having a child like this! (we were disgusted by this!) and I swapped hospitals!

As I met my new consultant at 35 weeks, I was relieved when he congratulated me on my pregnancy! He acknowledged that my OH and I were delighted to be carrying our daughter. Her diagnosis came second to this!

I have now had my daughter! She is beautiful!!! In fact she melts my heart every single time I look at her!
My eldest daughter loves her! My parents love her! My Inlaws love her! The 'friends' who were on team termination I refuse to meet up with, and don't class as friends anymore!

Ella has an extra chromosome! She is still gorgeous! She still is a baby! And I am every bit as entitled to be over the moon to be a mummy to my gorgeous little girl! Those people who wanted me to terminate, because it made them feel uncomfortable that I was having a child that in their opinion wasn't perfect are not even worth my thoughts anymore!

I am not writing this to say that people were not entitled to their own choice! Nor would I EVER judge anyone for making a different decision to the one we made! I just wanted to let people know that there is a positive aspect to having a 'different' or 'special' child... Even if when you first hear that diagnosis it appears to be the most dreadful news you've ever heard!

If anyone ever wants to talk to me about this, please feel free to Msg me. I will happily chat to anyone!
56961c52-c06a-012e.jpg

She is beautiful and of course you are every bit as entitled to shine with pride as every other mother x

So glad you've written this Hun you were amazing all through your pregnancy, so strong and now you have beautiful Ella to show for it

She's gorgeous xs

:love: sheis gorgeous. Brilliant thread.

Using Tapatalk can't see no tickers grrrrr.

what a little cutie....great thread...you're an inspiration xxx

shes such a cutie and i was so pleased when you decided to keep her and came to the conclusion that you could love her just the same no matter what. i hope our support helped and continues to help you. shes gonna be a heartbreaker when shes older lol

Congratulations!! She is beautiful!! Well done you for speaking out- just because a child has an extra chromosome does not mean she won't be the most loving and loved child ever!! Xx

Brilliant post, she's a beautiful girl congratulations xxxx

Lovely post, and gorgeous baby :)

I refused to have the tests even when I was having number 1, the midwives face was quite a picture when I said 'It'll still be my baby, and I'll love it all the same even if there is something wrong', though she didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with that attitude. I might get the blood test done this time just because I'm much older and I'd like to be prepared, but my overall attitude is still the same.

My Uncle and his wife were told my cousin would have down's syndrome when she was born, and in fact she is slightly, but is fully functioning, now hold down a full-time job (in fact recently was made supervisor) and now cares for her Dad since her Mum passed away a couple of year ago.

I think you should be proud of your beautiful baby, who has so much to give to the world.

what a lovely post and Ella is just stunning xx

... i hope our support helped and continues to help you. shes gonna be a heartbreaker when shes older lol

Bev! Without you girls and the amazing support you all gave me throughout- there were times I would have completely struggled!
Thankfully, I had all of you during the hard times, and the happy times too!!!

she is lovely hun , you must be so proud of her , alot of people have a certain attitude towards babies how have down sysdrome but i dont know why , people with down sysndrom can still have an excellent quality of life. xxx

Thank you for sharing your story for others to beneift, well done for asking for this section to be created

Congratulations on the birth of your lovely daughter - enjoy her XX

What a sweetheart. I can't believe people can be so insensitive. Congratulations on your beautiful daughter.

Ella is simply georgous, there is just no two ways about it.

I completely agree with you, Ella is such a blessing and I doubt you can imagine a life without her.

I know that there are some situations where for medical reasons continuing with a pregnancy isnt an option and I cant imagine just how difficult it would be to ever have to make that gut wrenching decision.

As I've said before you are an inspiration to so many on here and I'm sure others who are going through or have been through the same find your testimony and continued support a real encouragement.
xxx

lovely thread.

As I said before I am utterly gobsmacked that you had such a terrible time.

What a cute you have there x

Sent from my shit hot phone! Fo shizzle home girls.

Beautiful girl :love: it's outrageous how people have treated you :( x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back