Alcohol and feeding

Mrsmac1507

Reaction score
My lo should arrive any time now, and im planning on bf. iv got a wedding when lo will be approx 7 weeks, and want to have a drink while there. The info iv read regarding this is confusing, I know I could express but does having baby on a bottle for the day seriously affect ur supply. And does the alcohol remain in milk/ breast until its removed ( does that make sense) or does it naturally leave ur system? What does everyone do regarding alcohol?

I personally just avoid alcohol. We co sleep half of the night and wouldn't risk it. You would have to express at the wedding as in you wouldn't be able to not pump or feed all day. That would affect supply and also be agony! Hopefully someone else can offer some advice. I'm wondering if you only have a few can you just carry on feeding as normal!? Sorry I really don't know xxx

Hiya, I've read up loads on this too and the answer appears to be that the alcohol will leave your body naturally as long as you are also eating. The general rule seems to be 1 hour for every unit of alcohol you have (so don't feed for at least 2 hours if u have 2 units). Best thing to do is stock up on expresses milk and give baby a feed just before you leave. As mentioned you will prob be uncomfortable not feeding at all for a whole day so you may need to express while out.
At 7 weeks you should have quite an established flow so shouldn't be affected by one day xxx

I went away for a day and night when my LO was 6 months and my pump packed in on me so I had to hand express as much as I could and my god did my boobies hurt! You will need to make sure you have a good pump! So if you are planning on having a drink I would suggest feeding LO throughout the day then giving expressed milk at night?
Bearing in mind babies will cluster feed in the early days/weeks as well so make sure you have enough milk to handle this, your supply won't be affected by one night of expressing.

I have had alcohol whilst bfing (this is my choice I'm not saying do it) and my LO was perfectly fine, not massive amounts but a few glasses of wine. x

It depends if your planning on having a drink with your meal, or getting totally plastered.

It's a bit like driving - your body removes the alcohol from blood and your bm by filtering. So for example a glass of wine, or a couple throughout the day won't affect your ability to feed (same kinda thing as if your legally able to drive). But knocking back shots and being completely rat arsed would let more alcohol into your bm which isn't good for baby.

1hr per unit is a rough guide for filtering, but like driving you don't have to wait till it would all be completely gone, and there is no need to "pump and dump" as was advised years ago.
Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back