Air Travel with a baby

Tineke

Reaction score
I am sorry it has been such a long time since I have written on here... Time goes by soooo fast and Seth is almost 1 month old now....

Just wondering if you know of have family/ friends who have travelled with a baby.

My situation is as follows - My partner is heading back to the Caribbean (in 2 weeks) and Seth is only 1 month old right now, therefore I will have to wait in Australia until Seth is old enough to travel.

I have tried researching the safe age to fly as one of the flights is 13 hours long, apart form that flight I have 5 other flights in total from where I am now until we get to our destination point. I will be doing this alone and was wondering if 4 months old was alright. I can wait uniil 6 months but that would be a very long time away from eachother - what is safer for Seth though is best. I have read the babies immune systems are not fully developed until they are 3 months old. I called the airline and they said it did not matter as long as they were over a week old - I couldnt do that to Seth!!

What do you think? Any advice or information would be great!!

PS I LOVE BEING A MUM!!! and I hope you are all well...

Luv, Tineke

I have travelled several times with Mason. the first time he was around 5 months old on a 4 hours flight, but when he was about 1 we took him to South africa which was 24 hours travelling time.
- First...GET A SKY COT! we never got one, but they are great!
- Make sure you have a dummy or a bottle for take-off and landing (to help their ears pop. We didn't give Mason a drink for a while before take-off, but then we timed it wrong and he drank it all before our ears started popping so plan ahead and have plenty to drink!

As far as immunity... I would wait till they are over 3 months... they are tough enough to have calpol etc then, and lets face it, they can pick up bugs in a supermarket anyway!

I'm in a bit of a hurry so that's all I can say for now, but feel free to pm me if you need any more advice.

We came to Edinburgh from Florida when Ava was 2 months old. I was worried at first, but she did so well. We're going back to Florida next month and I don't think it will be as easy now that she's grown a bit and needs to be entertained every minute she's awake. urchin has really good advice about feeding during takeoff and landing though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back