Afraid of bee's...

LucyD

Reaction score
My 2 year old has developed a fear of bees. No idea where it came from but he will put his hands over his face & cling to me & cry. Some days like today he reacts worse than others.

Has anyone had this & how do you deal with it. Reassuring him doesn't really help although he understands when we tell him they won't hurt him & they are friendly bees etc but he is still upset. We had to go in today as he didn't want to be outside :-(

has he been stung or seen someone be stung?
they do go through a phase at that stage, called neophobic, where they even refuse to try new food (its a cave man thing where we automatically stop trying things and become scared of things, so we dont end up poisoning ourselves or putting ourselves in danger)- they do grow out of this phase but its how they are programmed to avoid danger at a time where they dont understand how to keep themselves safe, so its quite clever!

I would ignore it and distract. Its hard coz you cant show you like bees as you might get stung! So just ignore it and if they still do it in a few years time, maybe look up ways to help phobias.

I would be afraid of bees too to be honest.
Sorry I am not very helpful :(
Why are so many bees around?
We had a wild bee stump under a tree that we fumed down so they left as I didn't like the idea of do many bees near us.
I suppose if there is not sth that can be fixed like that you just keep telling him that its ok and don't force him to stay outside if he dosent want to.
Sorry I can't be very helpful I just didn't want to read and run,
I would personally get rid of the bees xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back