Affraid of breastfeeding

msjenny

Reaction score
I will be a mum in June and I am not sure if I want breastfeed for too long.
What is your experience with that ?

Advantages and disadvantages of breastfeeding please.

Maybe it is selfish but I still want my breasts to look nice and i heard weird stories what could happen after breastfeeding.

Disadvantages- it can be tough, there 'can' be lots of obstacles to work through (latch issues, sore nipples etc), you have to do all the feeds yourself, for the first few weeks you may feel like baby is attached 24/7

Advantages- it's the best possible nutrition you can give your child, it creates a fantastic bond, it's free, there's no bother of making bottles,

I was super lucky and never had any problems, I love breastfeeding, I'm 10 months in with my first child. When pregnant I was a bit nervous but hoped to do the first 6 weeks, but it's great for me and baby and I'm so proud we've continued.

Is there a support group in your area? A lot of people find them a great help

As for your boobs, everyone is different when they finish. Some people go back to normal, my mum was a A cup before having me and has been a D cup ever since. Yes some do droop a little but to be honest I think they do at some point whether you bf or not. Mine are currently a D, I know they'll get smaller when I stop but that's cool with me. I'm happy with my boobs but it's not really a big thing for me, the fact the breastfeeding is the best for my baby is more important

It's a very personal choice and can create heated debate on these boards so try and just do what is right for you!

I tried to bf my son but due to tongue tie he wasn't able to latch ( long hospital wait times to get it cut) so I expressed for the first 3 weeks of his life. It was an exhausting cycle of express, feed, sterilise, repeat. My supply wasn't great which didn't help. I stopped after 3 weeks and I (albeit feeling very selfish for doing so) am glad that I did now. We were both happier ( he was more full!) and hubby could help more.
I'm not planing more children but if I did then it's very unlikely that is breastfeed. My lo is happy and healthy and so am I, so I'm ok with that choice.
As for my boobs, I'm still carrying about 8lbs baby weight but they haven't changed other than still being bigger! Obvs this might not be the case if I'd carried on for longer.
Best of luck whatever you choose!

Still breastfeeding my 2yo and it's hard going. I wouldn't change a thing but with any more bambino's I would def do bottle and boob.

I think unfortuantly your boobs change during pregnancy and following as your milk will still come in regardless if you feed or not. I've breastfed both my babies and it's definitely tough but so worth it.

Breastfeeding can be really tough and having supportive people around you is essential. But if you can get through the first weeks it is really worth it. Breast milk is amazing stuff!

I'm still breastfeeding my first at nearly 2 years (and pregnant with next). My nipples are far bigger than before I had a baby but I don't think my boobs are any different. I think just being pregnant has more impact than breastfeeding. Your breasts are going to grow whether you feed or not so wearing well fitting bras is a must. But breastfeeding for at least a year can lower your risk of breast cancer as well as helping you to lose the baby weight. They say you can eat an extra 500kcals a day while exclusively breastfeeding ;-)

Last edited:
I only breastfed for 6 weeks and my boobs are still very different from how they were before, as previously said sadly if they're going to change they probably will regardless of whether or not you breastfeed.
And actually, breastfeeding helps you to lose your baby weight faster :)

I breast fed for a year my boob went back to
Normal around a year after I stopped. I hated the first few weeks but after that was over I loved every second of it and wouldn't change how I fed my daughter ever and I can't wait to do it again. It's personal choice though and up to you
How you feed your baby xx

Thanks a lot for your comments. Your feedback is great. I have got a lot to think about.

BTW How about mixing the bottle and the breast ?
Does it really work or you should stick to modified option or natural...

Maybe I am too worried about that but you must understand it is my first baby.... :)

All my family is pressing for natural feeding for now I am finding that more pushy than supportive but agree with you guys that support from partner and the family is priceless at this time.....

I expressed and my daughter had milk in a bottle at bedtime from 4 weeks she didn't suffer from any confusion at all and I knew if I was ill she would be fine to have a bottle :)

I was the same, I wasn't sure if I wanted to breastfeed and I was adamant I wasn't going to and bought all the bottles and formula. In hospital I decided to give the first feed a go but the midwife didn't let me . I asked my midwife at home on day 3 if she would help me try and I really enjoyed the experience , it's a feeling like no other really (or I thought so anyway) and I was adement before I had the baby that bf wasn't for me. However I tried combi feeding (breast and formula) and my girl got lazy and preferred the bottle so I gave up after just 2 weeks. However my next baby I will persue bf most definitely .
It's totally your body and your decision though . You may try it and find its not for you and that's totally ok. It was good to bottle feed so my partner could do his share of feeds too.

Last edited:
Not to try and put a negative spin on things but I'd like to share my experiences of bfing.

I'm 7 months in with an ebf baby who takes a bottle of expressed once in a blue moon. He will not entertain the idea of formula and never has, so boob it has been! He has chronic reflux and a moderate tongue tie that was missed by numerous professionals and, as such, latching has been painful, he's fighting feeds constantly and we've spent the last 6 months crying our way through the days. This has made a bfing bond pretty much non-existant and I feel like my whole experienced has been ruined by the professionals who were supposed to be looking out for this.

But it still remains the best decision I have ever made for my child. It's quick and convenient, there's no faffing about with bottles or sterilising. With a toddler who's 14 months older than my baby, there was no way I'd have time to do the whole heating up a bottle and I haven't had the extra expense of a Perfect Prep.

It's been the hardest and quite literally the most painful experience of my life. It's worn me down because of the issues we have with reflux and tongue tie. I think had these issues been sorted when I first raised them within the first 6 weeks, I would have enjoyed the experience so much more. I feel like I've been cheated out of this amazing bonding experience that so many bf moms have. I do, however, feel enormously proud of both me and him for carrying on and getting where we have. And it's ok that we haven't bonded through it, I guess some mums just don't.

It's emotionally and physically exhausting being a bf mummy but it's so, so worth it. Best of luck with whatever you decide :)

Not to try and put a negative spin on things but I'd like to share my experiences of bfing.

I'm 7 months in with an ebf baby who takes a bottle of expressed once in a blue moon. He will not entertain the idea of formula and never has, so boob it has been! He has chronic reflux and a moderate tongue tie that was missed by numerous professionals and, as such, latching has been painful, he's fighting feeds constantly and we've spent the last 6 months crying our way through the days. This has made a bfing bond pretty much non-existant and I feel like my whole experienced has been ruined by the professionals who were supposed to be looking out for this.

But it still remains the best decision I have ever made for my child. It's quick and convenient, there's no faffing about with bottles or sterilising. With a toddler who's 14 months older than my baby, there was no way I'd have time to do the whole heating up a bottle and I haven't had the extra expense of a Perfect Prep.

It's been the hardest and quite literally the most painful experience of my life. It's worn me down because of the issues we have with reflux and tongue tie. I think had these issues been sorted when I first raised them within the first 6 weeks, I would have enjoyed the experience so much more. I feel like I've been cheated out of this amazing bonding experience that so many bf moms have. I do, however, feel enormously proud of both me and him for carrying on and getting where we have. And it's ok that we haven't bonded through it, I guess some mums just don't.

It's emotionally and physically exhausting being a bf mummy but it's so, so worth it. Best of luck with whatever you decide :)

Wow Kumber, it's admirable that you have persevered to provide your baby with what he needs, you're an inspiration to me as a first time Mum as my biggest aspiration is to be able to ensure that my son's needs come first and he has the very best start in life xx

My experience of BF was similar to kumber's in its awfulness & range of issues, but I managed to BF baby until 13 months when he decided he didn't want to any more.

On the other hand, I know people who take 5 mins to feed their babies, have never experienced any discomfort etc.

I think it's worth trying to see how you both get on. I do feel it's only fair to point out that BF can initially be very painful but this sensation lasts for about a minute at the start of BF and goes away after a few weeks.

BF is supposed to help with weight loss btw! :) It's a great calorie burner - by month 6 you are burning about 500 kcal per day :)

I've experienced both sides of the coin as such. Like kumber my son has tounge tie and reflux, would fuss etc. I fed him until he was 9 months. My daughter is the complete opposite and just got it and has been a breeze!

I was more afraid of breastfeeding than I was of childbirth. The first 24 hours was tough and had to hand express. But it was worth it in the end. I love it now and am so glad we persevered! My advice would be to try it. See how you get on. Its free and less time consuming. You can always switch to formula if that's what you need to do. Baby won't remember and although they say breast is best, formula is loaded with goodness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back