Advice surrounding IVF procedure

Lucie12344

Reaction score
Hi guys, i don’t want to bore you with the long details but my partner and I have been TTC for 5 long years. I’ve been on clomid for the past 6/7 months achieving a pregnancy on my 1st round which unfortunately ended in miscarriage at 5 weeks.

I’ve got 3 months left of clomid and if I don’t achieve a pregnancy I will be starting IVF. My Dr gave me a lot of information to read about IVF, the process etc. And it has scared me silly! Has anyone been through IVF, is the process really painful? What should i prepare myself for in relation to the procedure as a whole?

Any advice and calming words appreciated!! Thanks

Hello & welcome :)

You'll find lots of us on here who have been through IVF - myself included 2 cycles. There is a HUGE amount to read and a millions forms to sign and it is all rather overwhelming.

Until you have your 1st proper consultation with an IVF clinic or doctor I'm reluctant to bombard you with a million things as the plans for IVF - the drugs and procedure will be different depending on your circumstances.

Very broadly speaking it will involve daily and twice daily injections, it will involve a minor op to retrieve the eggs, it will involve a process similar to a smear to pop back in the fertilised embryos. It is an emotional roller coaster with many ups and downs.. so be careful in your timing of when you want to proceed so you have time to deal with it all.

Personally I found the physical side of IVF fine, no issues but the emotional bit was very hard...

Be strong, be brave :)

J xx

Hello & welcome :)

You'll find lots of us on here who have been through IVF - myself included 2 cycles. There is a HUGE amount to read and a millions forms to sign and it is all rather overwhelming.

Until you have your 1st proper consultation with an IVF clinic or doctor I'm reluctant to bombard you with a million things as the plans for IVF - the drugs and procedure will be different depending on your circumstances.

Very broadly speaking it will involve daily and twice daily injections, it will involve a minor op to retrieve the eggs, it will involve a process similar to a smear to pop back in the fertilised embryos. It is an emotional roller coaster with many ups and downs.. so be careful in your timing of when you want to proceed so you have time to deal with it all.

Personally I found the physical side of IVF fine, no issues but the emotional bit was very hard...

Be strong, be brave :)

J xx

Thank you! It’s definitely the physical side that I’m worrying about, it’s reassuring that it’s probably not going to be as painful as I’m expecting. Xx

It’s not as bad as you imagine. Of course the first time you inject yourself is a little daunting and strange. However the syringes are pre loaded and completely safe and easy to use.

Yes they sting a little but it’s really isn’t half as bad as you are probably imagining. The needles are extremely fine and tiny.

Egg collection is done under sedation. I woke up after a lovely long sleep totally unaware of much lol! Bit crampy afterward like mild period pain. Nice day on the sofa and I was fine for work the next day.

Everyone is different so just take it 1 step at a time xx

Hi, I agree with Jezby, each situation is very individual, and I am sure you will be safe during your treatment. Keep my fingers crossed. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back