Advice please!!!

StevieCraig

Reaction score
This is our story so far and any advice would be much appreciated -

At our 32 week scan we were told our little one was just above the lowest point acceptable for size for her dates. At the time she was roughly estimated to be 3 pound 11 oz...we were asked to come back three weeks later to monitor her progress..
So last week I had my 36 week scan and she had only put on 3 oz and was estimated to be about 4 pounds 2 oz... so she had only put on 1 oz roughly a week!!
we have been told if she doesnt put 3 - 5 oz on by Thursday this week its more than likely they will have to deliver her early....
I guess we would like to hear about anyone else experiencing early deliveries, what they were like, what happened afterwards.....is 4 pounds a safe weight and would i be looking at time in hospital with my little one?

Remember the sizes of bubs is an estimate, and they can be a little out, my daughter was estimated 4lb 12oz - but was 4lb 9oz, I've known bigger estimate gaps.

She stopped growing so was induced at 35 weeks.

Also, I asked about neonatal & I know that at the hospital I delivered at went by weeks baby was born at, so, if Grace was born below the 35 weeks gestation then she would have been took down to neonatal. So, missed it just by 2 days.

If blood sugar levels and body temp levels were okay, we were only going to stay in for the three days, but unfortunately Grace developed jaundice & wasn't maintaining body temp & we were in 7 days.

Hope everything goes well, and PM me if you have anymore questions x

Hi Hun, I had my son at 32 weeks. He was 4lb 3oz and dropped to 3lb 10. He spent 3 weeks in neonatal which was heartbreaking but is perfectly fit and healthy almost 1 year old now. Harry spent time in scbu because of his gestational age not weight. He was 4lb 5oz when we got discharged.i would say all will be fine Hun. Babies are born as early as 25 weeks weighing a mere pound at grow up perfectly fine. Try not to panic. Hope all is well. Good luck xxx

My little girl was born at 26+6 due to pre-eclampsia, she weighed 1lbs 10oz.
She spent 3 months in neonatal, due to gestation & some health complacations. She is now 4 1/2, she needs an op at gosh next week to close a duct in her heart due to being so prem, but other then that she is one of the happiest, cutest , cleverest little girls I have ever met (yes I am her mummy so would say this but it is all very true)
Anyway, my situation was different, if it is just down to your little one having a low birth weight, then sure it will be a quick stay in neonatal, just to ensure they put on weight & feed well.
Sorry to babble on a bit, just wanted to say I'm sure you have nothing to worry about :)

My waters broke at 35 weeks and my daughter was born 4lb 9.5ozs. She dropped to 4lb 2ozs in hospital when she was in an incubator, but she is now slowly gaining weight so I think 4lb is a safe weight :)

I personally delivered my son at 29.5 weeks. He was 3 lb 2 oz, lungs were underdeveloped as well as GI system, neuro system, cardiac system....just about every system in his body was underdeveloped. You are at a fantastic gestational period to deliver. I know it is scary, but your LO's weight may be completely unrelated to his/her health and you may find that once baby is born, he/she may pack on the lbs. Have they told you anything about why your pea is small? 4 lbs is a safe weight to deliver. There is a few things to consider before sending baby home. 1. Can baby maintain his/her body temperature on their own. Meaning, outside of an incubator in a typical crib, can the baby keep itself warm? 2. Can baby suck, breathe, and swallow without having any side effects from doing so. Sometimes when babies are feeding and are delivered too early like in my case, the baby's heart rate tends to drop and they temporarily stop breathing. 3. Is their GI system ready/developed enough for food/nutrition to go in? 4. Lung development. The baby must be able to breath without the assistance of oxygen devices on their own. I am in no way giving any medical advice, just education that any other nurse would give with a preemie. When delivering at 36 wks gestation, is a great delivery time. Of course, every baby is different. In my opinion, I would rather them take the baby at 36 weeks because obviously baby is not getting the nutrition it needs in utero. People typically look at baby going home right around it's estimated due date. My son was due May 21 and came home May 6. I had him Mar. 12. If you have any more questions, PM me. I will be glad to answer any questions you might have. Good Luck and don't stress too much over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back