Advice please....

Discussion in 'Formula Feeding' started by EmiLou123, Jul 10, 2013.

1. EmiLou123

EmiLou123 Well-Known Member

I'm planning on (or toying with the idea of) introducing a bottle of formula at bedtime as a top up on top of bf as my 19wk old lo is a terrible sleeper and still feeds 2 hourly over night... does anyone else do this? Did it help your lo sleep longer? I'm exhausted with spending most of the night awake and whilst I do not wish to give up bf I need more sleep so I can function during the day.

Xxxx

tapatalking x

2. MrsT2011

MrsT2011 Well-Known Member

To be honest my son was worse on formula than breast milk! It's up to you if you want to give it a go, it works for some babies but it certainly didn't for mine lol! X

3. Toria111

Toria111 Well-Known Member

With my first child I always had to top up after every breast feed, and he had a total formula feed at night as he was a huge baby and I wasn't producing enough. With my second, after the first few weeks I started a top up formula feed at night and she slept much better.

Good luck.

4. EmiLou123

Thanks for the replies, the only thing I can do is try it :) I'm going to give it a go tonight. If it doesn't work then I've not lost anything (will express the missed feed anyway) xxxxx

tapatalking x

5. EmiLou123

Well that was a massive fail, he woke screaming for a feed but his bottle wasn't ready (waiting for damn kettle to cool) so I had to feed him... how the eff do you guys time ff without having a screaming baby? Lol xxxxx

tapatalking x

6. MrsT2011

Oh dear lol! I used to boil a kettle and fill a flask. Then pour some cooled boiled water in a bottle ready. When baby wakes add some of the flask boiled water to the cooled boiled water until you get the right temperature x

7. EmiLou123

I'm going to get a flask today and try this! Such a better idea. The little monster woke every hour last night! Still trying to get hold of my hv! Beyond tired now! Booooooo xxxxx

tapatalking x

8. MrsT2011

I know that feeling Hun! Let us know how you get on x

9. EmiLou123

Aww I will do.

Just one more question... how do you sterilise the flask? :-\ x

tapatalking x

10. MrsT2011

I put boiling water in it and emptied it out before using fresh water for baby. Tommee tipee do a really good sized flask or you can get cheap ones from Wilkinsons.

11. EmiLou123

I got one from Tesco in the end :) just waiting for him to wake now x

tapatalking x

12. EmiLou123

Well he took less than 3oz last night (out of the 7 it tells you to make up) so no change... woke every hour again so I put him back in his moses basket because at least then if he was going to wake and cry I wouldn't have to get out of bed! Lots of dummy pushing went on... still tired... will keep persevering though... it was the first time he had it so might have been a bit strange x

tapatalking x

13. Belfast girl

Belfast girl Well-Known Member

I think you need to allow a couple if weeks for any change in routine to work.

Giving a bottle at night totally works for us. Due to low weight gain etc I always gave a top up twice a day (mainly BM but depends on how much I have expressed) at 7pm and at 11pm for a dream feed. From about week 2. She slept through at 6 weeks which is a lot earlier than I expected. I express at 11pm to try and minimise missed feed supply wise.

During the day she feeds from me approximately every 2 hours which I'm happy with. She probably doesn't need the top ups but I like knowing she has had a couple of decent feeds a day.

14. EmiLou123

How old is your lo? L is feeding 2 hourly day and night still! Haven't managed to get him to drink from a bottle again since that formula... he pushes it out his mouth with a disgusted expression as if I'm trying to poison him lol. Ah well, what works for some doesn't always work for others :-( just wish he slept longer at night... suppose my time will come lol xxx

tapatalking x

15. Belfast girl

Belfast girl Well-Known Member

Oh I have lost my signature! She is 15 weeks - sometimes a bit ropey about taking a bottle. as you say works for some, I know my supply is low in the evenings so am happy with her taking a bottle!

16. EmiLou123

I'm on tapatalk and dont see signatures anyway :( ... I would quite happily give one bottle a day, but never mind! He's obviously only a booby baby ha... xxx

tapatalking x