Advice please?

stargirl

Reaction score
Just looking for as much info and advice I can get please?

I'm wondering when to/ if at all, to introduce a bottle of expressed breast milk.

Baby H is 5 wks old tomorrow. I know my OH would really like to feed H a bottle. I've had a few teething problems with latching but H feeds and is putting on plenty of weight. (9oz last week).

I introduced a dummy early on as he likes to comfort suck. I noticed that if he used the dummy a lot in one day, we'd struggle to latch on a bit but then my cousin told me to try a different type of dummy. One that American hospitals recommend. So I ordered one from amazon an he loves it and he's latching on better.

So what I really want to know is should I hold off trying a bottle? And what was everyone else's experiences like?

Sorry I rambled on a bit. :)

Mine have had expressed in bottles since 3 weeks to top up evening feeds so they sleep better. And now one gets the odd botte.e through the night so OH can help me, as bf both meant i was getting no sleep :( I have had no issues with them on the breast or bottle. I use tommetippee little bottles. Nipple confusion is really rare :)

Thank you. Have you found that giving them a bottle before bed helps them sleep?

Absolutely, i seemed to be running out of milk for them in the evenings, they would spend hours on the breast and then still not sleep. My nipples would be so,sore. I thought they were just being grumpy and a bit colicky afterwards, then i gave theM a bottle to rule out hunger and hey presto, happy sleeping babies! I am always full of milk in the mornings, but empty by the evening, and their behaviour adjusts accordingly, lol.

I'm more full of a morning and seem to have a good supply of a night too but last night we had a rubbish night with H! I really want to establish a good night time routine. Think I'll set one up and having a bottle off daddy can be part of it.

I started my daughter on the odd bottle of expressed milk at about 5-6 weeks. Mainly so I knew she would accept it if and when I'm away from her. Now hubby gives her a bottle on his days off and I'm not so keen on feeding in public so I know if we need to go somewhere I wouldn't want to feed, she'll be fine with a bottle! We've had no problems latching what so ever. My breast feeding support worker said if we ever want her to take a bottle its better she gets used to it sooner rather than later.

I started with the tommee tippee closer to nature bottles but she got most of it down her chin so swapped to th avent ones and they suit her much better.

Done a bit of research this morning and although its maybe not the best day to start as H is really fussy today, come the early evening I'm going to start as I mean to go on with a loose routine, which includes my OH giving H a bottle. I have the avent ones also so hope he likes them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back