Advice please ladies...

JoJo79

Reaction score
Sort of pregnancy related but i need some help pretty please..

Yesterday and today (ive said in another post) been getting stronger and more uncomfortable BH's, feel really restless, aching in top of legs and tmi going to the loo more often all which i know colud be signs things are moving on,

What i need help with is anyones suggestions what to do with the fr*gging dog!!!!

She's constantly barked n whined at me for past 2 days, everyones said she can sense things are happening but im swinging between the urge to beat the living daylights out of her (and im an animal lover and totally against cruelty to animals!) and just wanting to sit and cry cos she wont stop making a noise

Please please anyone have any suggestions what i can do with her?

Prob dont help that shes the husbands dog and i havent really got time for her anyway,

Sorry for long rant just needed to get it out xxx

Is there no one who could take her for a few weeks? If you're getting distressed, and at this stage of your pregnancy, you can do without it, put the dog in kennels. I have 3 dogs and hoping mine don't start being 'silly'. When push comes to shove you come first x

I'm not very good with our dog so probably not the best advice giver... All I know is nothing shuts him up like a rawhide bone! £1 from tesco and he spends 2 days in silence not bothering anyone (and he's still a puppy so it's an amazing relief when he doesn't need attention 24/7! Lol. Good luck! Xxx

I don't really have any advice, as we don't have dogs but I agree with vikki - is there anyone that can look after her for a wee while?

Thank you i have no one to take her really, my mum has a cat the mil already has a zoo!! (2 dogs a cat n 2 rats) my sis works full time and my dad lives in a first floor flat!

Tbh we cannot afford kennels either (right now we struggling to keep food in the cupboards :( ) i know i should put myself first remember when i was having my 2nd daughter dh had bought me a puppy half way through pregnancy which i adored... until id had her then couldnt cope )

The worst thing is all dh does is laugh when i tell him what the dogs been like and how much shes wound me up, she behaves as good as gold when he's here!!!! (bit like our girls really)

Gonna have to seriously speak to him bout doing something tho, not sure i can hold my temper with her thats why im staying away right now xxx

I'm not very good with our dog so probably not the best advice giver... All I know is nothing shuts him up like a rawhide bone! £1 from tesco and he spends 2 days in silence not bothering anyone (and he's still a puppy so it's an amazing relief when he doesn't need attention 24/7! Lol. Good luck! Xxx

Thank you hunni she has a bone!!! and shes been out she has food/water etc theres no reason for it xx

Obviously she can just sense things happening. I know the feeling because our one dog barks quite a bit, well its more of a whine because hes old and wants attention, and next doors dog just never shuts up barking, its 24/7 :(
Is she any better when you give her a bit of attention?

is it when shes shut out away from you? or is she allowed in and shes still doing it then?

I wouldn't give her rawhide bones as you are then rewarding her bad behaviour. I think it may be a dominance thing, some bitches can detect when a woman is menstruating and act up accordingly, this behaviour sounds similar to me. I would speak to your OH making it quite clear that this isn't just your problem, if it's his dog then it's his x

My youngest cat crunchie is the same. She constantly follows me around miaowing at me and fussing at me. I can't even sit on the sofa without her coming and sitting on me with her head on bump. All very cute but before i got pg she wasn't bothered about us at all. She has started getting anxious and stressed as well as she has started pulling her fur out :( it looks awful and can't be nice for her. Sensing an expensive trip to the vets with her. Not that we can afford it right now but she can't go on like that.

I'm not really a dog person, but I agree with the there that u need a break from her if she is doin ur head in as much as she is xx

God it sounds awful, that would do my head in! My DH has a lizard in the front room that refused to eat a cricket in it's tank. For about 3 weeks all I could hear was this loud as f**k cricket chirping away relentlessly to the point where I wanted to lob the whole tank out the window!!

The only other thing I could suggest is a crate? Depending on the size of your dog. We managed to borrow one but think you can get a good sized one for medium breeds for less than £30 on eBay. Might be cruel for an older dog that's not used to it though. Our puppy has it as 'time out' and although he whined first few times he got put in there, he now just falls to sleep and it's helped so much with various behaviour problems. Probably best suited to puppies and not applicable to your situation though :/ xxx

Thanks for all your replies, she whines both near me and in another room!

She already has a cage for when we go out and its used as time out too.

Think ive solved the problem for now i squirted her with water and shes quiet for the minute (we used that to train her when she was little better than hitting :) )

Believe me me and the dh will be having words later, shes his dog and he does nothing for/with her at all and he aint the one putting up with her all day everyday xxx

I was just gonna suggest the water or my auntie (a dog trainer!) suggested a plastic bottle with some stones in. Give it a shake at the bad behaviour they don't like the noise cos their ears are so sensitive. My dog has been very clingy lately and jealous if the OH and me have a snuggle on the sofa or even hold hands he gets between us and nudges us apart. Hes very very protective as well and is running into the back garden and kicking off at everything - cats, birds even the blooming snow and sits at the window growling and barking at everything and everyone going past!!

I agree with Zoeox. She can obviously 'smell' whats going on. Perhaps she is getting distressed as she may see you as one of her pack and senses your distress? MY OH dog used to get upset when we argued or one of us got upset but he calmed down when we played with him and comforted him.

my dogs have been restless when im home alone with them, a lil whiney but mostly milling around. i shut them in another room for a bit if they start doing my nut in lol

What your dog is doing is not 'dominanace' dogs DO NOT think like that.

She is probably sensing something is changing and that you are slightly stressed.

Please do give her a bone (nice fresh meaty one from the butcher if you can) or alternatively an interactive toy filled with dog treats to occupy her mind.

Squirting with water and using rattle bottles are quite extreme methods to use, best to praise for correct behaviour and interupt bad/unwanted behaviour and redirect to something more appropriate.

I know you say she's OH's dog but have you had anything to do with her training at all?? Might be a good time to start now so that when you are at home with a baby she responds better to you.

Really simple things like getting her to sit/down/stand/shake paws are very easy to achieve with most dogs and just make use of their brains and tire them out a little!!!

Why not teach her some more complex 'tricks' too?? Twizzles/Spins/bow/nose touches all really good fun - dogs love to learn.

I clicker train (my 8 dogs, run classes, do behavior consults ;) ) and it's a really positive and quick method to train your dog. Happy to help give you some simple 'recipes' to achieve the basics if you'd like??

I agree with cazza she isn't dominating you she's sensing something is going on cat and dogs get very restless when one of their pack are due to deliver soon and she's doing that with you she's worried etc and I think she needs the fuss to calm her as well as you xxx

Cazza i have done dog training with her before, she was the model pupil!!!

As far as the sit/paw etc thing she knows all that with me anyway like before i feed her or she gets a treat etc i dont even have to say anything to her just a look and she sits/gives paw straight away, she also does the "down" for a treat,

Have asserted my authority too as have our girls as regarding taking her food away while she eats then giving it back when she was a pup now she only growls at "outsiders" who go near her while shes eating,

She probably is really bored and now shes been quiet a while i know rationally its her way of communicating, just earlier on i could quite happily have opened the door and kicked her out :(

Any tips are appreciated tho xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back