Advice on when to leave

Blueclass

Reaction score
Hi everyone i just wanted some advice from you guys. Basically il be 35 weeks on fri and was hoping to work till 38 weeks. I work in a special needs school and although im no longer doing anything hard i still struggle sometimes. Anyway if i work till 38 weeks it takes me to half term ao my mat leave wont start till 7th june and my dd is 10th so i get 2 weeks longer if that makes sense?? People have said it might be nice to leave aooner as this is the only chance il be able to relax and really enjoy my mat leave as if i was to have another baby i wouldnt be able to relax unless they was at school. Im now wondering if i should take leave before and relax or spend that time with the baby when she comes. X

I'd say it depends how you feel. I've used 3 weeks leave to go off work at 36 wks, starting mat leave at 39, and was thinking about delaying it and working an extra week but I'm suddenly so tired and uncomfortable in the last 2 wks that I'm glad to be going soon! There's also the factor that a lot of friends of mine have gone into labour 2 or 3 weeks early, with 1st children and all, and I want to make sure I get a rest - and besides, I can't bear the sitting with the spd anymore! I'm just carrying on with the evening job as long as I can for the extra cash, but that's not many hours.
I think every woman/pregnancy is different, so you do what you think is right for you - don't feel pressured to work longer than you want to, put yourself and baby first! ;-)

Also, were both ftms, aren't we? We should take a little time for ourselves before we're catapulted into motherhood!

Last edited:
Yes we are, thats whats making me think i should maybe leave a little early. If i had holiday id use that but as im in a school i cant. Im really spilt. I want to leave and have some me tome and not rush around later when im bigger and even more uncomfortable but then i think thats up to 6 weeks of leave il lose with her. As she is our first i want to be with her. X

It's a hard one, if you are really struggling to work then I would go a bit earlier, but to lose out on 6 weeks is quite a long time to lose after baby is here. I've always dreaded going back to work after having the boys and actually did quit my job after my 1st as I just wasn't ready to return. But then having the time to relax before baby is here is great too, although I didn't do much relaxing with my 1st as I had so much to organise still as left it til I was on maternity leave to start decluttering the nursery/computer room and then decorating and painting so did need the time without working. xx

I know 6 weeks is along time to lose with her thats whats holding me back. When i go back to work tho i can return part time which would be better. Im really struggling with sleeping and am shattered in the day. I do think i could work till 38 weeks but its all if and buts.. if she comes early i have no time if i leave early and she late i have to much time... arg. I hate and i rubbish at making decisions. Wish someone could make it for me x

My mum is a teacher and tells me the women there all try to time their pregnancies so they come back off mat leave a week before summer hols, then they get all those extra weeks lol - sounds like the thing to do if you can 'time it' like that!
I guess in your position, you'll make up for those 6 weeks later in the year. I think you should go for getting some rest prior to birth! How long are you taking for mat leave?

I think im having 9 months of if i can afford a year i will but its not looking that way. Yes i wanted to do that but i got pregnant the first time we tried so happened alot sooner than we thought. Next time i will try to do it that way lol x

I am looking into when to leave as well. Have lots of holidays left so might just take maternity leave as of my due date ( 18th July ) and take 2 weeks holiday before.. But perhaps 2 weeks is a little close and I should go on maternity as of 11th? Hard! x

We got pregnant the first month we tried too, I was surprised o.o
Mariaisabella, should see how you feel... if your .employers are understanding, you can always change your mind closer to the time!

It is a super shock when you get preggers fast - I was the same with my first. Second was cycle 4.

I did plan on taking the year with this one too, but actually I think because the time of year when I go back I will probably return after 9m and reduce my hours to part days. Jackson goes to school this year so Ill have one in childcare one in school which is why Ill need to change my hours.

Currently I work fulltime and it is kicking the shit out of me :lol: I *hope* to work as close as I can however I do alot of mental work as well as physical lifting so I dunno how that will pan out. Plus Ill have annual leave to use and will get more when Im off! So I want my MAT to start like 2w before EDD then if I stop anytime prior to that it will be on annual leave. The last time I stopped 8w before EDD, 4w annual leave was included in that - but he was 2 weeks late! So this time I would rather it off at the other end, esp because itll be the longest time I can spend with my eldest before he goes to school and ofcourse the new baby.

It really depends on your circumstances and what you feel comfortable doing. I found prior to baby I was even more fed up because I went over and wasn't working! I had the house all decorated, spotless and basically waited. So it really depends if you have stuff planned etc.

xxxxx

Well everything is ready il keep cleaning obv lol but i do worry if i leave next week 36 weeks and she is late 2 weeks thats 6 weeks which seems along time. I will miss that time with baby but i think maybe for a first timer it might be nice to relax and spend timw with the hubby. It is so tough coz i know i can work longer but if she comes early(fingers crossed) id have no time. X

I mean the idea is nice, I had the same idea first time round like that. Id have a chill out, enjoy daytime tv, going lunches with OH etc which I did and it was lovely.

But given the option now I dont think Id take that long off - however, I may change that. 4m in work is killing me and my back :lol:

Its upto you hun. What ever you thinks good for you. Good thing is if baby did come and you had to phone in your MAT leave starts from that day - and ofcourse your employers will know your pregnant and anything is possible, babies come rain or shine! :lol:

xxxx

I have now decided and spoken to HR. Will take maternity on my due date and take 2 weeks holiday before.. If baby comes early I would still have the holidays when I'm back so that's good.

My boss is very flexible and will let me work from home as much as I need later on which is nice! I am really tired and short of breath at 29 weeks so scared to think how it will be later on.. xx

I'm finishing at 36 weeks but just been signed off this week due to becoming anemic, back on Monday for 2 weeks then done.

Most people I know finish at 36/37.

I'm in your boat Blueclass. I work in a primary school so no holidays to take before mat leave starts. I too am finishing when school finishes for May half term - I will be 38+3 then, as it is school hols my official mat leave date is the Monday after (6th June). As much as I'm feeling ready to finish earlier I'm going to try my best to power through (15more working days!) so I can spend all the time with little one on the other side.
If you can get hubby to help you get little bits ready each night so it's not a big rush when you finish xxx

I'm currently on leave as I had 4 weeks of holiday built up for this year and decided to use it before bump arrives with her being our first. I also wanted to be as relaxed as possible. My maternity officially starts 2 weeks before due date so beginning of June. I go back after 9 months as we can't afford 13 weeks without a second income so the full year was out for us.

Just weigh up the pros and cons and chat to your hubby. Everyones situation is different, but I'm sure you will figure it out soon! xo

I left at 37 weeks with my first. He was 10 days late so I had almost 5 weeks of leave before he came - I was SO bored! This time, im finishing next Friday at 38+3, and even though I'm exhausted, I feel like it's much better timing (for me). I'm even considering pushing it on another week to 39+3!! Probably won't do that though, don't want to go into labour in my office!!!

I left at 37 weeks with my first. He was 10 days late so I had almost 5 weeks of leave before he came - I was SO bored! This time, im finishing next Friday at 38+3, and even though I'm exhausted, I feel like it's much better timing (for me). I'm even considering pushing it on another week to 39+3!! Probably won't do that though, don't want to go into labour in my office!!!

I'm leaving work 38 weeks as well! Also hope to avoid labor in the office :shock: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back