Advice on my hubby and toddler naps

paige23

Reaction score
So me and hubby work opposite shifts to save on child care. My oh does 6-12 in the mornings and I do 2-8 in the afternoon/ evenings.
Now my problem is that my oh will let our son nap whenever and for as long as he likes. Basically because he is tired too and wants a nap.
So for example today he has had a three hour nap and didn't get up until nearly six! It's infuriating me!
And what makes it even worse is that my oh will not listen! I've had it out with him so many times over the past year!
It's just really getting me because I get home from work my ds is still rampaging around the house. I get my tea whilst be pulled at by my son for attention. Then once all that is over with my oh has settled down on the sofa and refuses to put our son to bed and gets in a huff if I suggest it!
Don't really know what I'm looking for here. But really need to rant!. Being a cranky pregnant women doesn't help either haha x

That would piss me off massively too! If he wants to let your son nap for whenever and however long he likes then I think the agreement should be that he is the one that deals with the bedtime aftermath!! It's not fair on you anyway but being pregnant as well your only going to get more tired and you need your rest. All children need some form of structure and a bed and nap routines are one of the main things in my book (obviously with some lee-way here and there for special occasions and such).

Maybe you should talk to him about his ideas on how you could make bed time for successful and purely get his viewpoint in the hope he might suddenly reach his own blindly obvious conclusion that a 3 hour nap in the late afternoon is probably not ideal!!

Edit: should say my hubby enjoys a Good nap but he only does it at the set times we allow our son to sleep. So basically anytime between 12 and 4.30pm but no longer than 2 1/2 hours and wake up is at 4.30pm latest

Last edited:
That's really unfair of your oh. I agree with above if he's doing all this napping he should deal with it afterwards. My oh loves to nap with Lo but he knows not to let her sleep after 330ish

I'm not sure what to suggest as you've said you've already had it out with him but it's not fair on you

Thanks for your replies ladies! I'm just going to have to talk to him again! I tried last night but it started an argument so I just gave up and went to bed. I think I might say no naps that last longer than two hours or until after four?
I mean dint get me wrong I love napping too especially at the moment but not like that.
We have zero alone time really at the moment! It's so annoying! X

That's very unfair of your OH, and if you are pregnant then you are the one who should be getting the support and extra rest, not him.

Our LO naps 2-3 hours most afternoons (she only sleeps for 1 hour at nursery) but she goes down straight after lunch so is usually up between 3-4pm. If she goes down later we don't let her sleep longer than 5pm as that's her dinner time and bedtime is 7pm; although we've been letting her stay up an extra half hour a lot lately as she is still full of beans at bedtime.

I'm very lucky that my OH takes an active role and we do bedtime together so we both have a vested interest in getting her tired by bedtime.

I think all you can do is have a conversation with your OH about how difficult it makes bedtime if he is sleeping until 6. Maybe focus on wanting to spend some quality couples time together in the evening as an incentive?

Last edited:
Thanks for the other way of putting it across Maud! It's hard to think rationally when it's been wound up a while.
Well I've come home tonight and he is in bed! I gave him some subtle hints today. But I know its because he wants to watch game of thrones! Cheeky man xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back