Advice - High risk after a section?

SpiritedAway

Reaction score
Would you be considered a high risk pregnancy on your second child after a c section?

Quick backstory, My waters went 2 weeks prior, told I peed myself sent home. My due week came and because I have an under active thyroid I had been scanned throughout and they noticed waters level had gone down and been slow leaking so induced me (I know I was high risk from that).

I ended up with a section because my midwife put me max on the drip and combo of waters going exhausted my uterus.. (consultant came in and more or less shouted at her to turn it off).

So as my back story I'm really worried they'll tell me I can't go midwife led and as our last baby it's just all I want, a chance to be given a water birth ect.

I can totally get and accept if it goes pear shaped but I'm wondering if they'd atleast give me a chance at trying in the mlu :(

Hey,

Firstly congratulations on pregnancy :D

To answer your question you will more than likely be consultant led during this pregnancy. There is a risk of the section scar rupturing, however this is a rare occurrence but still a possibility. Unfortunately as there is a risk you will also be continuously monitored throughout the labour. So you will have the monitor straps attached at all times, or a clip on the baby's head is the trace isn't clear enough.

But it's not all bad news! You could potentially still have your water birth. Most trusts now have wireless monitoring which are waterproof! So you could still have a water birth, still use the birth suit etc. But this is only if you go into spontaneous labour, if they have to induce it's likely that you won't be allowed to use the above. The reason being is if they have to medically induce labour than the contractions are stronger than normal and therefore ups the risk to the scar rupturing. So they like to have you where they can immediately get to you with out faffing about trying to get you out the pool.

My first pregnancy ended in a section. But i've since gone on to have a further 2 babies and birth them both vaginally without any major issues.

Hey,

Firstly congratulations on pregnancy :D

To answer your question you will more than likely be consultant led during this pregnancy. There is a risk of the section scar rupturing, however this is a rare occurrence but still a possibility. Unfortunately as there is a risk you will also be continuously monitored throughout the labour. So you will have the monitor straps attached at all times, or a clip on the baby's head is the trace isn't clear enough.

But it's not all bad news! You could potentially still have your water birth. Most trusts now have wireless monitoring which are waterproof! So you could still have a water birth, still use the birth suit etc. But this is only if you go into spontaneous labour, if they have to induce it's likely that you won't be allowed to use the above. The reason being is if they have to medically induce labour than the contractions are stronger than normal and therefore ups the risk to the scar rupturing. So they like to have you where they can immediately get to you with out faffing about trying to get you out the pool.

My first pregnancy ended in a section. But i've since gone on to have a further 2 babies and birth them both vaginally without any major issues.

Bah :( I was gonna see if I could chance my arm and ask when I saw the midwife. If its the lovely one I had previously I was going to try persuade her as the hospital I want to go to has lots of baby suites compared to consultant led area which has one. I don't have much to lose really :/.

Yeah I know that much, even though my consultant told me I could have a water birth when being induced, and I got up there and they said no. I don't want drip again, lol they can stay away with it.

I think if I was induced when my waters initially went It would of turned out differently. That's really good to hear you had two vaginally afterwards though. I'll be honest I've really been upsetting myself and having panic attacks over the thought of it (making me upset now). I can't go into theater and have needles again it ruined DS birth for me.

I'm so frustrated it happened, wish I'd been more strong and insisted a scan as it looks like I'll never get midwife led now.

You can refuse to be consultant led, I did. You can have a water birth on the midwife led unit I was allowed. YOu can choose the birth you want. Look up the nice guidelines they’ve recently change and join the vbac support group on fb. Xx

You can refuse to be consultant led, I did. You can have a water birth on the midwife led unit I was allowed. YOu can choose the birth you want. Look up the nice guidelines they’ve recently change and join the vbac support group on fb. Xx

Oh really, thank you for letting me know I'm going to read before my midwife turns up. Im not on Facebook so ill get my dh to join it so I can look.

I really don't think there was an actual issue with me going naturally, the midwife who refused me a scan when my waters went was at fault (actually to know now, they've closed the consultant led ward where I was in my local hospital as there's been so many baby deaths but I'm not going there I'm going 30 mins away instead).

I'm so sorry you're feeling like this. From what you say though there were a lot of contributing factors to why your first pregnancy ended in a section and as you say yourself, if certain things hadn't happened, the outcome may have been very different. Have you ever had a debrief about your first labour? I had one following mine. Although I was lucky to avoid a section, we had a pretty hideous time but there were several contributing factors to it. My main questions were around how it would impact future pregnancies as like you I don't want to be excluded from midwifery led care in future without a damn good reason!! Might be worth doing as they will go through your notes etc from your first labour.

I'm so sorry you're feeling like this. From what you say though there were a lot of contributing factors to why your first pregnancy ended in a section and as you say yourself, if certain things hadn't happened, the outcome may have been very different. Have you ever had a debrief about your first labour? I had one following mine. Although I was lucky to avoid a section, we had a pretty hideous time but there were several contributing factors to it. My main questions were around how it would impact future pregnancies as like you I don't want to be excluded from midwifery led care in future without a damn good reason!! Might be worth doing as they will go through your notes etc from your first labour.

Not really, it was a bit not wanting to admit fault was made? Suggestions of I could complain but it might not ever be followed up. I had my original midwife (who was with me when they started the induction) come comfort me as I had to stay in longer and she said if she had known my waters had gone when I came in previously she would of induced me earlier (but was she saying it because the Dr had, too little too late).

I was just told I could have a vbac if I was to have future children, but this is where Im wondering will they just say it was down to me and I have to go back consultant led :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back