Advice before blood test 04/02

amie

Reaction score
Ladies, I need some advice please!

Partner and I have been ttc without a bfp for over a year now and I have my first blood test on Thursday.

When I was in seeing my doctor he arranged the blood tests for when I said I should be ovulating but I have a feeling I have ovulated early (yesterday or today) due to a little pain and ewcm. I can't be certain as never confirmed with opk/temping.

Does this matter? Or should I call and rearrange for next month?

I can't remember what exactly this test was for so not sure what to google so thought I would ask you guys who may have had this appointment recently.

Think it was progestrone, testosterone, German measles and rhesus something.. But I may have totally made those up.

I react badly to having blood drawn (feel faint, sick and cold sweats lol) so really don't want to have to do it twice in two months if possible!

Thanks in advance!

You will need two blood tests, one on CD3 ish and one 7 days before the start of your next period. Then they have to compare the levels of the two and this tells them your hormone profile and whether you are ovulating. Then there are several things they test for that the cycle day doesn't matter for, so these may be taken on either test. My first one had about 6 lots of blood taken for different things!

The second blood test is often referred to as day 21, however this is misleading as for ladies who don't have a 28 day cycle it needs to be done on a different cycle day.

Hope that helps :)

Snowbee - thank you so much for getting back to me. I will definedly be further than cd 3 by thurs not sure why the doc arranged it for ovulation?,I suppose if I have to go twice in a month I might as well go and play dumb and see what they say..

6 lots?? Oh no! 3 or more and I take a funny turn. Dreading it even more now lol.

Thanks again for the info, very helpful! X

Last edited:
I'm currently waiting for day 3 and '21'
I've had them before, I have PCOS, but things have changed and they're measuring to see if I'm releasing an egg or not.

Frank
X

It's always worth asking for repeat bloods the following month for comparison. Are your cycles regular? x

Lucy boo - I will ask and see what they say tomorrow :) no, anywhere between 4-6 weeks. Just not sure why he made the appointment for when I should be ovulating instead of cd3 or 21. Will find out I guess lol.

Thanks everyone for the advice! X

The day '21' bloods have to be done on the correct day for you. I have irregular cycles so it took us several attempts to get it on the right day. In the end I had to opk every day until I got a positive and then book bloods for 8 days later. I would guess that your gp meant for you to go 7 days after ov. often gps get confused over this as it isn't usually their speciality subject.

Don't worry about the amount of blood! The times I've had to have several vials they still only do it with one needle, then just keep on filling the vials so it isn't multiple stabbing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back