Advantages/Disadvantages of early child care..

russellmuscle

Reaction score
Hi girls!

Just looking for a bit of advice or prons and cons if you will..

I'm going back to work end of Aug (looking to extend it to 2nd September) J will be almost 8 months old. I work 3.45h per day so not too long.

The plan was for my dad to take care of him which he doesn't mind doing and OH would have him his days off. I thought that he was maybe too wee for nursery yet although loads of people I speak to have put their children in earlier than I was planning to put J in.

I was hoping to wait till J was on his feet then put him in?

I started researching nursery and a private one local to us was my first point. OH cousin sends her little girl there she's now 4 and been in since 8m. Sophie is autistic so OH cousin has said its a fab nursery the owner is constantly upgrading resources and focus on the children is great she doesn't think sophie wouldn't have gotten as far as she has if she hadn't started nursery.

So looking for some points of view from all ages really. And its not to be judgemental, I'm just stuck whether to put him in when I go to work? Or stick to my original plan.

Thanks girls :) xxxxx

I put my lo with a childminder from 5 months. But you have to go with ur instinct xx

Keira was 7.5m. She goes to my mums in the mornings and nursery in thr afternoon so has a balance as o didnt want her in all day.
I thonk its fab for their social.skills.and she does soo much then i would even think of x

The younger they start, the easier it is for them to settle in. Once they reach 12 months and onwards, it can be harder for them.

I know I am slightly biased as a child carer, but it really is fab for their social skills. As they get older you can really tell which children have been in nursery and which haven't. Children who have been in nursery seem to be much better at sharing, and are happy to ask other adults for help.

Also nursery provides so many more opportunities and activities than a lot of people would think to do at home.

Last edited:
William first went at 4.5 months. He absolutely loves it. He's such a confident little chap around anybody who talks to him and in a morning when I say 'lets go to nursery' he gives me the most enormous smile and gets really excited!
When I picked him up yesterday they had a tiny 6 week old in. She was gorgeous but I honestly couldn't have done it that soon x

I use to work in nurseries and would have to say if you can do it, part time nursery is great for kids, my two year old goes (I know he is older but I'm a sahm) his development since starting has been amazing and I can't sing the nurseries praises enough.

Jack started nursery at 6 months just 2 afternoons a week, he gets up to things that I just dont have at home painting, sandpit etc. he is so much more confident around people and other babies (there's no other children or babies in the family) and they absolutely adore him! He's the youngest so he gets one to one time allll day. They told me it would be easier leaving him and him being left at a younger age and they take photos of what he gets up to and write down his special moments for me. He's always so excited to see me when I pick him up :) xxx

Thanks girls,

I think I'm leaning towards it lol, Jackson is very sociable like his mum but I am keen to keep this up OH was so shy and reserved and is to a certain extent these days so I was scared J would be like this but he seems fine for now.

I like the point about the painting and sandbox, I sure as hell dnt have room for all that in his own room never mind in the house LOL!

xxxxx

Also, I've trained jack to do his really bad poos at nursery :) I think!
The only disadvantage I can think of is my slight worry that he'll do something for the first time at nursery like crawl or talk etc I'd be devastated! But if he does it in those 10 hours its very unlikely and extremely bad luck xxx

The nursery I send William to have a policy that if they start crawling/walking etc for the first time they don't tell you so that when you see it for the first time you hold onto that memory of being the babies first.

OH cousin has got me a pack from the nursery manager so that's a start.

If I do send him, it will probably be Tue, Wed, Thur. My dad can watch him a Monday & Friday.

That's good about the "firsts" policy frankie!

xxxxx

The nursery I send William to have a policy that if they start crawling/walking etc for the first time they don't tell you so that when you see it for the first time you hold onto that memory of being the babies first.

I think this is pretty standard for most nurseries!

That's so sweet! I feel so much better now thanks :)
Although at my nursery, they told me he was sitting up on his own (which I already knew) but they'd still been putting cushions behind him as I'd forgot to mention it!
Hope nothing else happens xxx

We put j into a private nursery at 11 weeks at the time....... (both at uni and was necessity).....j loved it and there was a good relationshio between staff and us (he went to a nursery ofsted rated outstanding. However there were a lot of other children all within the relevant ratios etc.....J has bee going to a childminder for a year and a half and we love her and everything she provides for joshua. Especially as we have NO family around its great for him to have a close personal connection with someone who we think of as our family. She takes him to playgrouos trips out, but also has a very personal close connection with him and even though im on mat leave with g he still goes now and I wouldnt dream of taking him out
I also love going to work......and I love the adult conversation and not JUST being a mummy and housekeeper but its a very personal decision. I love knowing joshua has an incredible time with an incredible family and childminder and that I ca still be me....iyswim x

Id be ortified if js childminder C, didnt tell me if he does something same when greg goes..sure I might miss t but I want to make sure I remember when his firsts happen as opposed to when I first saw them x

Lyla went into the creche on campus at 9 weeks as we are both uni students. Was great for her. She loved it and got so excited seeing all the kiddies. Staff were amazing with her too! xx

Max will be going into nursery when he is 7 months old.
My 2 daughters went to nursery and they are outgoing and happy children with fab
social skills. X

William went for his warm up sessions twice a week from 8 months - 2 months in and he LOVES it. I agree about all the stuff they do that just wouldn't be possible at home, or difficult. All the treasure baskets, sand and water pits. They make a den and have story time. Today they had a sing song. William sat on the woman's knee and clapped his hands and laughed. He also has a really good little bond with a wee boy in his class. They always climb on each other and play :)

His nursery also won't mention any possible 'firsts' xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back