adopting and maturnity leave

Discussion in 'Home Life & Finances' started by hayley, Sep 13, 2005.

1. hayley

hayley Well-Known Member

Hi

I have a question. Adopting is not something i'm thinking of but i was discussing with DH the other day about - if the worst happened and we couldn't have a baby would he consider adopting? we discussed it lightly. But then Dh said I probably wouldn't be allowed to take maturnity leave from work. I'm sure we would get the full maturnity leave if we did adopt a baby.

Does any one know the law on this?

x

2. *sam*

*sam* Well-Known Member

Hi Hayley,
    I've looked into this myself. You do get maternity pay/leave. If you do a search for your local goverment office and search for adoption you should find everything you need to know, that's what I did and it tells you everything.
    Hope this helps, Sam xx

3. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure on the actual law, but my company treats adoption in exactly the same way as birth. They give 2 weeks paternal, and 6 months maternal leave in exactly the same way.

Just as an afterthought, I was adopted myself, so if you do ever want to talk about this from the childs point of view, feel free to PM me.

xxx