Above-average bump

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by GingerKitty, May 24, 2016.

1. GingerKitty

GingerKitty Well-Known Member

I've just had my first measurement and I'm 24cm at 22 weeks - I do feel I've got quite big just in the past 2 weeks.

I know it's more about how you grow but I'm a wee bit worried that I'm over what I should be. Anyone else had this?

2. Blueclass

Blueclass Well-Known Member

It's fine up to be up to 3cm either side of what you are. Next time you get measured it may be what you are also different mw measure differently. I got measured the other day twice and there was a difference. One was mw one was consultant.

3. Phoenix85

Phoenix85 Well-Known Member

Generally they don't measure until 28 weeks because it's not accurate before then. But, apparently up to 3cm 'out' is fine. More than that and they start to worry. Or if you started measuring bigger or smaller than before and jumping or dropping centiles.

If you look at the chart it seems that the uterus grows slower as time goes on.

I was measuring 27 at 28 weeks which is half way between 10th & 50th centiles.
    This week I am only measuring 31 and a half cms at 34 weeks, but on the chart that is still half way between the two centiles, so following the same curve.
    It would only be a worry if it drops lower on the chart.

You might find that at 28 weeks you measure right. But I wouldn't worry about being 2cm out x

#3 Phoenix85, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  4. sammielou

sammielou Well-Known Member

Don't worry - one measurement doesn't mean anything. My first two measurements put baby above the 90th percentile line, and then my third suddenly dropped down to the 50th percentile. MW sent me for an extra scan and everything was fine. He's stayed on that line since.

They just use the chart as a guide. See it as one extra bit of information they use to help them identify possible problems early. If your measurements do suggest a problem, then you will be referred for a scan. Otherwise we have enough to worry about, without worrying about a measurement that they acknowledge isn't all that accurate!

5. KeelyT90

KeelyT90 Well-Known Member

It could just be the way baby was laid this time or just fluid.... If the plotting chart goes up after a couple of measurements then they'll book you in for a growth scan. However, More growth is better than no growth so try not to worry. If your MW wasn't concerned then you shouldn't be either :) xx

6. YorksLass

YorksLass Well-Known Member

Mine's always been too big lol - I get the impression it's by no means an exact science, as they say, different mws can get different results. As long as it's fairly consistent with no sudden drop or raise, they don't seem that concerned ;-)

7. GingerKitty

GingerKitty Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone - I feel quite reassured now. My midwife didn't seem very worried, but didn't make light of it - she basically said it was borderline for a concern and she'd keep an eye on it. I guess I just worry about anything to do with baby's health!

8. kittykitchn

kittykitchn Well-Known Member

I was massive - I measured full term at 31 weeks and kept growing. Growth scan indicated she was perfect size, just a lot of fluid and the fact that I'm short.

They were going to give me a sweep at 38 weeks as I was so big, but she decided there wasn't enough room anymore and came a month early (thank god lol) xx