A sleeping question???

lulu

Reaction score
Jack sleeps 'as and when' he wants really, he sleeps ok during the night, as well as sleeping during the day (most of the time anyway)

I was at my friends yesterday and she said that she tries to keep her little one awake later on in the afternoon so that he sleeps at night.
He is 10 weeks older than Jack.

Is that something you introduce later on or should I be doing it now?

Anyone else feel like there is so much to learn and so much they dont know?

I must admit we try to keep Brody awake from about 8pm till I go to bed at 11, then I'll finish feeding him in bed and hopefully we'll both nod off.

When I say "TRY" to keep him awake, that's all it is really, if he wants to sleep he does, but we don't help him along by rocking him etc, we'll also try to "entertain" him a bit more.

Didn't work for me - tried to keep ewan wake in the afternoon but he just ended up tired and grumpy and then when it was beed time he was completely over tired and took me twice as long to get him to sleep! and his night was more unsettled. i find he sleep better at night if he has regular naps during the day - at almost five months now he has a nap midmorning, midafternoon and late afternoon so around 10.30, 2 and 4.30 his naps can vary between 30mins to 1 hour

what i done mirrors what hypnorm done. Worked really well. At 18 months she sleeps all night and has 1 hour and a half nao about 1.30.

If your Jack is sleeping ok at night I wouldn't worry about it- I'd celebrate!!

Elliott isn't- he quite often gets turned totally around and since he doesn't seem to want to sleep much anyway (11 hours on a good day!) we have been trying to get him to sleep and wake at certain times of the day to try and encourage him to at least be sleepy between 7-2am! You can't make them wake up sometimes but actually he seems quite happy to do a 2 hour stint of being awake then a 45 min nap- but waking up is only met with excitement if there's a feed involved! We found that he wasn't too good at calming himself down, especially in the evening. You'd be playing with him and he would go past the point at which he could take it, we'd miss the signs and then he'd end up way over tired so now we look for signs and take him up to his cot or put him in the sling and he seems to be happier.

If you do decide to do it arranging it so that you wake him for something he likes (like a feed) really helps but you can't always do that. Generally he has a morning nap of 30 mins - 1hr, 2- 2 1/2 hrs at lunchtime and 30mins-1hr in the early evening.

+++

Seren ;ikes to sleep during the day also. I have found she will sleep well between 7.30am-10am then wake for a feed then will doze again till about 12pm. She will then also have a nap during the afternoon. I get her changed for bed at about 7-8pm then she will have her crying time/constant feeding till we get her settled into her bed at 12.30-1.30am. I find that this means she will hae a good night sleep till about 6-7am so I'm not complaining. I also worry though that I shgould be putting her into a routine but when she is asleep she's asleep and even though we have tried to keep her awake more during the day she will still not settle till early hours of morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back