A question for older mums

Dotty_woman

Reaction score
I have just read a sad story in the miscarriage section about someone whose friend just lost their baby on their due date because of a placental abruption. :( Apparently this is more common for older mums. I didn't know anything about this and at 42 I am just a bit worried now. It sounds as though you are more likely to be induced before your due date if you are older but my midwife hasn't mentioned anything about this to me. Have any older mums got any information about this so I can have a heads up before I see the midwife again at the end of August? Thanks. xxx

I read this story too, so sad.
Couldn't stop thinking about it last night :(

I don't know about the early induction, hope someone can help xx

Hey, I have just turned 40 and at my first and last consultant appointment at 20w, they said they want me to go back at 38w to be induced. App once you hit 40, being 38w is equivalent of 40, 40w 42w etc.

Hope that helps x

Think I might need to rethink when my maternity leave starts. Thanks for the update LeaAnn as I didn't know that. I'll be having words with my midwife! xxx

Hi Dotty - I'm 41 & haven't been told this (I'm 24 weeks now) - I will ask my midwife at my 27 week appt. It does sound like one of those very sad & misfortunate things that happen every now & again. My sister always says you can never relax until they're born & here safely, but you still worry for your kids probably until you die! It just part of being a mum I suppose! xx

I'm in Leeds, LeeAnn. Was just curious if the advice changes dependent upon where you are in the UK. Still going to speak to midwife about it though. On the upside my previous 2 children were both early 2.5 and 1 week early respectively so secretly hoping that No.3 follows suit! xxx

It may do, as I also had to have the gestational diabetes test but mine involved eating a certain amount of food within a set period before a blood test. All the other people seem to have to fast and then have a glucose drink. It's all very confusing :s

Ah well in that case I am sure you will be gone, but as you say it's worth asking the question x

I rang the midwife this morning and we passed on to the Antenatal team. Even though I am 42, the nurse said because I have had 2 normal deliveries, nothing special will happen this time just because I am older. Maybe it depends on the individual case. I wish the advice was the same throughout the country!!! Are you ladies that are going to be induced early having your first baby and if not, did you have complications with your other pregnancies? It sounds like I'll just get treated like everyone else unless I have a history of issues. Hope I'm ok then! :s

This is my first, so maybe that's why it's different. My sister knows someone who lives near me who is in baby no 3, and she isn't being induced either I checked today.

Hope that helps x

Hey dotty, i was 38 when i had devon in reading! And i was due for section at 39 plus 1 and i had a sudden massive bleed while lounging in bed i moved up the bed and gush. I went straight to hosp and ended up staying there, baby was fine but was a partial placental abruption apparently , i stayed in 3 dats and went home the night before section as bleeding had stopped and baby ok on monitors and they couldnt get an earlier section slot.

Infact i havent remembered to mention that this time , diff hosp and im now 40!!
I will now next appointment at 29 werks but she was talking about sectioning me at 38 plus 3 as next slit at 39 plus 3 so shouldnt matter then.

Last edited:
Thanks LeaAnn. That's put my mind at rest a bit. It's good to know there are things to watch out for though. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back