a little support needed...(breastfeeding)

kitten1102

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Just having a bit of a whinge really... I've been breast feeding Tim for 3 weeks now, but the last few days seem to have been much harder than usual...

He doesn't ever want to attach to my boob, and he'll just wobble his head about with his mouth wide open. I've tried our normal position and lying down, but nothing seems to work. The thing is, he's now getting hungry and crying/screaming all the time, but is still refusing to feed properly.

I'm starting to get upset with it all now, and just feel like i want to give up, but I know that breastfeeding is best for him nutritionally and for bonding. So i feel guilty for even thinking about giving it all up...

I'm hoping its all a growth spurt or something and that it'll pass and tomorrow he'll be back to normal...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!! :wall:

<sorry>

Thanks

Liz

Hi there

Well done for making it this far, many people have problems at around this time.
I remember Brody did this and it was cos he'd got interested in everything going on so I had to feed him with the TV off etc. Also if you are getting stressed with it he will pick it up so I'd definitely try and chill out at feed times and just let him relax and find his own way onto your boob without forcing it too much.
I'd also call your MW to get her to come and check your latch for you.

Good luck :)

basically as Urchin said...

Maybe see if there was a breast feeding clinic near by you to get help... and dont be embarassed to go like I was... I left it too late before I went and ended up expressing all of Arianna's feeds for her from birth to 17wks(ish) as she refused to latch on to me.

:hug: to you tho, I know it is really difficult

Like the previous poster, ask your midwife or HV for some help. If you have a local breast feeding group the ladies there can also be a fantastic font of knowledge and amazingly supportive when breastfeeding get's difficult. Your local hospital might also have a dedicated breast feeding counsellor. As a midwife at my breastfeeding group reminded a new mum last week, it can be the tiniest little thing that is making breast feeding problematic and might be very easy to resolve.

Don't feel guilty for considering stopping - the first few weeks of breast feeding are immensly challenging and there have been times when I have thought how much easier bottles and formula would be. Without the support of my husband and the breast feeding counsellor at our local hospital, I would have given up in the first three weeks as it took this long to teach my daughter how to latch on. I gave her EBM in a bottle for the first 3 weeks. Fifteen weeks down the line and we both love breastfeeding.

You do what feels right for you and your baby. Just tap into the help available before making your decision so that any decisions you do make you can make in an informed way and not regrett later.

i can't add anything to what's already been said, but hope you manage to do what you feel is best for you both. there's lots of support on here so feel free to post anytime you get stuck, but you can't beat a *good* breastfeeding counsellor/midwife/HV as they can actually physically help you out with stuff.

good luck xxx

I can't really add to anything that's alraedy been said but i would def get in touch with your MW/HV for support

Lola went through a phase of not wanting to latch on and i also found it really hard and felt like giving up but it did pass and i very rarely have problems now

Good Luck!! :hug: :hug:

hi all,

just a quick update...

we've narrowed it down to only having problems with his 9pm feed... so last night i expressed his feed while daddy bathed him, and he took it from the bottle no problems!!

its nice that OH got to feed him and i got a break...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back