A little panic this morning...

briggerz

Reaction score
OMG I woke up this morning ina bit of a panic as the realisation hit me that I have no idea how to look after a baby!! Eeeekkk!!!

I mean silly things like how often do you change baby bedding, how often do you bath baby, should it sleep on its front, back or side?? What if I'm a terrible mum? Phew its just so scary!!

My only saving grace is that my partner already has kids so I guess I can rely on him for some answers, but eeeekkkk!!! Help me!!! xxx :oooo:

Im sure all new mums have a panic over the little things. I know i do. People keep telling me that when its your own baby it all comes natural. Try not to worry yourself hun :) xxx

Ahh thanks Twinkle90, I know you're right I'll try and calm myself down! xx

Hey briggerz, I feel ur pain. I felt exactly like u did before I had my baby. I used to worry about all the little things just like u, but please believe me when I say it really does just come naturally. Things like changing bedding, I do it either if ts dirty or every 3rd day. I currently bath jack every 3rd day as he's still small. And baby's always should sleep on their backs with their feet against the bottom of the cot/Moses basket. But as I said everything comes to u. I didn't even get to go to anti natal classes as my baby came so early, so I didn't really know anything! So try not to worry my lovely , you'll be a perfect mum xxx

you will figure it all out, generally the advice is sleep on back, feet to foot of cot or basket. how often to bathe, change r change bedding is generally up to you, i change bedidng when its dirty which is usually at least oncew a week now but when very young it was more often due to puke or poo etc lol. with newborns theres like a cycle, are you hungry, tired, dirty rinse and repeat. check nappy, offer food, try and rock to sleep and then go thru the list again. sometimes they cry a lot due to colic the first couple of months, they get constipated, have growth spurts and need food constantly. its all normal. some babies just fall asleep, some need to be encourage to sleep by rocking or something else and you will figure it all out as you go, we all do just trust your instincts and remember that there is no 'right' way to parent, every mum and baby is different and we all have our own way of doing things.

my DD1 will not just fall asleep, she likes to have music played and be rocked in her pram. thats one of the things i just had to figure out by trying different stuff

I know what you mean! I even worry about it crying non stop just after delivery and not being able to console it and feeling like "argh I can't do this" lol. I'm sure it will be fine though xx

I still think this now. Its something that is so out of our normal daily life that surely we cant just know what to do.
But as others say, it will come natural and im sure hoping this is so true! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

I mean silly things like how often do you change baby bedding, how often do you bath baby, should it sleep on its front, back or side?? What if I'm a terrible mum? Phew its just so scary!!

It's all very scary, but you won't be a terrible mum, I promise! It's a massively steep learning curve, but basically as long as you try feeding/changing/putting to sleep when the baby cries, you'll cover everything that needs to be covered!

We changed bedding very frequently to begin with - then discovered the art of using a muslin across where her head would be (this only works in moses baskets or cribs which are small enough for the muslin to be safely tucked under the mattress) and then just changed that when she was sick or spat-up.

We only bath our baby once a week (she has terrible eczema and dry skin), but top and tail her twice a day and obviously wash her when she has a dirty nappy. Babies don't generally need bathing every day.

As others have said, the general guidelines for sleep are to put baby on their backs with feet to the foot end of their bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back