A few questions about clothes from babies 12m +

CARNAT22

Reaction score
Just trying to get myself organised as much as possible as I go to zero pay very soon... :shock:

I've got a load of 9-12m bits so don't need much but was going to buy a few bits 12-18m?

* Would you say by 12m they are still in sleepsuits?? Or now they are moving about are PJ's better? (bearing in mind this will be in the winter)

* Do 12m + need snow suits???

* Anything majorly expensive clothes-wise they need this age that I may not have thought of? (good shoes for example)

* What about bedding? Do they have to go to a duvet at 12m? Or can we stick to Gro-Bags which would be my preference.

Basically any tips or anything I need to know is much appreciated.

The aim is to kit James out now so I won't spend any money until I go back to work!

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I have no idea as we're not there yet however you have some very good questions that I myself would like to know the answers to so I'll definitely be stalking.
I've been wondering about the pj's and bedding situation as well.

B is in 12-18 months and some 18-24 months clothes now.
Shoes will be about 12 months and will cost between £20 and £30 but you will need to get him measured.
I'm not getting a snow suit as it will restrict his movement but I'm going to splash out on a decent coat.
We're using pjs now as so much easier - I gave up on poppers!
I would say a little backpack or trolley as B loves having his own snack bag and my friends have similar for their LO's. more room in change bag for my stuff now!

once they are mobile pj's are better and for around the house if you dont have carpets gap do great socks with treads on them to minimise slipping!

we have a couple of all in ones - a heavier one which was great for playing in the snow and a lighter one for running around in the garden because mud+ water+ stones = filthy!!

if james is going to nursery plenty of cheap t-shirts as they do lots of messy play!

wellies!!

At 12 months we didn't use sleep suits and only stopped using growbag because of the warm weather. No snowsuit either.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Amelie is in 18-24 bottoms and the rest 12-18
We never did babygros so pajamas for us.
We are getting her a very thin snow suit/rain/wind resistant. All toddlers and kids have them here. They are very thin and no movement resistant at all.! It is in my required items lost for the nursery so we are getti one anyway. you wear them over your clothes and can be worn all seasons except the very very hot season obviously. They are bloody expensive, no idea if you have those there though as I saw only Nordic country brands having them (the thin all year around ones as thick ones you can find all over I think)
I heard that at somewhere between 12-18 m te sleeping bags gettin little one restrictive and maybe a little dangerous as the little ones are trying to stand and walk with them or even worst climb out of their cot so most people apparently change in duvets around that point too.
I heard that there is a sleeping bag that you can actually wear like pajamas so with separate legs but I didn't research more about that one.
I kept it simple until now and that's what I am planning to continue do as Amelie hates dressing so
We usually have a long sleeve vest and pants and socks on.
If its too cold I put per her a sleeveless sweater so its easy to wear and if we have to go outside I add a jacket or a cardigan. When its bedtime I remover the pants and socks and she is ready for bed.
We rarely use outfits.
Now that its warm a shirt sleeve vest and shorts is what we do all days round and if its too hot best off and a summer dress easy to put on.

For her autumn winter clothes I got (or my parents sent me that is mostly as clothes here cost a fortune) 10 pair or everyday cotton pants, 3 pairs of good pants for out and about like jeans etc, 15 long sleeve vests from witch 5 are woolen, 5 cotton tops, 3 winter woolen tops, 2 dresses (1 its a special occasion dress for the first birthday the other one is a simple woolen dress), 5 sleeveless sweaters, 3 cardigans (2 simple cotton ones and a woolen maxi one for out and about), 2 jackets (a winter one and a fall/spring one) a winter suit (we didn't get that yet), 4 pairs of pajamas, a whole bunch of socks, 3 pairs of shoes (one cruiser, snickers and an occasion one for her birthday).
I think that's all not sure though.
She has more clothes than I do for sure and obviously she gets even more as every time we are at the mall we pick a thing or 2 :shock:
We mostly got toys for 1 year olds too: a huge activity wooden square, a farm and farm animals, blocks, beads,a trike, a ride on car, a pushchair, push along and pull along toys and a ton of books as she is obsessed with them, she is getting an armchair, a desk and a toddler chair, an aqua doodle and a rocking animal and obviously many more every time we are at the toy store lol but the big ones we are thankfully done with already.

That's a really interesting point about the Gro-Bags Hope!

I have five in the bigger size, 2.5 tog so I guess I'll have to see how it goes..

Currently James doesn't even roll in his sleep but I know soon enough he's going to be getting up to all sorts in his cot.

xxxxx

Harry is 1 in 2 weeks time but has been in 12-18 month clothes for a while now. He still has a couple of sleep suits but wears pyjamas most nights, as Mrs T said, the poppers are a pain particularly when they're rolling around when you're trying to change them! He still wears vests during the day and I think we will go back to using the sleeping bags once autumn is here. He does have a duvet but I'm a bit paranoid about using it!! X

Hey hun we gave up on the sleeping bags as max is a right wriggle bum and was getting all tangled, he's also a hot baby especially at night and goes to bed in just a vest some nights. We have 1 or 2 sleep suits in size 12-18 months but only because they were given to us, otherwise it's pjs all the way for us too. Haven't thought about snow suits or anything yet but will get max a really good coat and maybe an all in one water proof suit as well, the ones made out of cagool (sp?) type material. I recently got max a load of lovely polo shirts from h&m, they are really generous in size, look lovely and aren't expensive. I'd say the biggest expense you will encounter is shoes, like someone else said they will be the best part of £30 and they can go up a size in about 6-8 weeks :shock: xxx

Just trying to get myself organised as much as possible as I go to zero pay very soon... :shock:

I've got a load of 9-12m bits so don't need much but was going to buy a few bits 12-18m?

* Would you say by 12m they are still in sleepsuits?? Or now they are moving about are PJ's better? (bearing in mind this will be in the winter)
I've got some of both - I think PJs are amazingly cute, and they're good for warmer weather as LO's feet don't get as hot, but I still love it when Alex wears a sleepsuit 'cos it makes him look more like a baby still :oooo:

I wouldn't have thought so, we got Alex a rainsuit for 9-12 months (this one, but it's out of stock in bigger sizes, grrr), and I'll probably try and get him something similar for 12-18 months in case he wants to play out in the garden when it's damp - he can just wear layers of clothes underneath if it's cold out. He's mostly in his pushchair when we're out anyway, and he has a fleece buggy snuggle thing so that keeps him plenty warm enough :)

* What about bedding? Do they have to go to a duvet at 12m? Or can we stick to Gro-Bags which would be my preference.
Alex's sleeping bags are 6-18 months so he'll be wearing them until he grows out of them (we've got a couple 2.5 tog and a 1 tog for warmer nights). Nearer the time I'll see whether he's still comfortable in them and consider getting the next size up (18-36 months). My cousin's little boy wore them for years and it never seemed to bother him (in fact he could quite successfully climb out of his cot and run around while wearing his :shock: ). I'd rather Alex stayed in them as he wriggles so much I think he'll spend the whole night either completely under a duvet or without it on him at all :roll: However, if I really don't think he's liking it any more then I might get him a duvet set for Christmas - I'm such a mean mummy :lol:

I've been thinking ahead to this size as well.
I was thinking of clothes that won't wear down easily if lo is crawling etc so things a little more robust?
For winter I'm thinking of getting a pram suit and a nice thick coat, just waiting for the autumn winter clothes to come in :)
x

K was out of sleepsuits quite early as she was really long, but E I kept in then til she outgrew what we had - she's probs not been out them a year yet! Although they're really into onesies now!

Snowsuits, K had a jojo maman bebe fleece suit, it had a hood and fold over hands and feet, you know like newborn sleepsuits? It was pricey but worth it's weight in gold! She wasn't walking, so I didn't need to get a waterproof one! The next year I got them both regatta waterproof suits (E was walking and it was the year we had all that snow), she still fits Ks one now! Again, priceless, but it depends on the individual LO and the weather!

Expensive things, shoes! And bloody hats, socks and gloves! And either wellies or snowboots! It all bloody adds up!

I can't remember when we got rid of the grobags, K must have been about 16m cos it was wgen she went into plaster, E I genuinely don't know :blush: you cab get them that zip up the legs though so they can walk!

God my brains fried now thinking back!

We have a kinda mix of pjs and sleepsuits. And she manages quite well in both. Although there was a wee while when she was just starting to walk that the sleep suits were a bit more awkward, especially on slippy floors.

My inlaws got a puddle suit for G, so a bit like a snow suit bit the gloves and feet popper off. Its not restrictive at all, and she can have her shoes on and be off walking in it as well.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Ooh this is all good to know as Drake is coming up 12 months now. I'm planning on keeping him in his sleeping bags as long as possible as he's a bit of a fidget and won't keep sheets on him at night.

* Anything majorly expensive clothes-wise they need this age that I may not have thought of? (good shoes for example)

Basically any tips or anything I need to know is much appreciated.

The aim is to kit James out now so I won't spend any money until I go back to work!

xxxxxxxxxx

I would say in winter then sleepsuits over pj's because little feet get cold fast. I think pj's are more a summer thing, especially as James will be walking by then.

My kids always had snow suits up until they were no longer in a buggy. Obviously the ones without feet.

Back when mine were young gro bags never existed so they had a duvet after the age of one but Scott will have a sleeping bag so he can't kick it off his feet.

I would buy long sleeve vests as well and I always found my lads hardly ever wore jeans/trackies because they basically lived in long sleeved tops/jumpers and dungarees. Dungarees just seem so much better at holding nappies up, trousers tend to drag nappies south lol.

Invest in mittens on strings as well so you don't have to buy a new pair every time you leave the house x

tapatalkin

Cheers ladies, lots to think about.

We have mainly carpet so I think I'll get a few sleepsuits - also James doesn't keep socks on.

I think we'll also see how we get on with sleeping bags (I have 5 in the 2.5 tog :shock:) as James is a proper fidget and the one night I didn't put him in a bag he thrashed about like a maniac.

James has his own money so we'll get a decent coat and shoes, when the time comes, out of that.

I've already bought the footmuff for the pram which was quite expensive.

Also - and this is proper thinking ahead - but we'll keep some money aside for his Birthday party.

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I've only just put my lo under a duvet and out of sleeping bags and he's 2. As long as James is happy sleeping in a bag I'd leave it. My lo was in sleep suits till he was about 18 months then I'd put him in pajamas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back