A Downside Re Older Mums...

kazlin

Reaction score
I am what is classed as an older mum (39) I am taken for around 10 years younger, kind of cool...but my biological clock isn't!

We really want Dan to have a brother or sister (maybe 2 more even :wink: ) but it is kind of worrying to think that I don't really have much time on my side. We were thinking of trying for another one when Dan is about a year old, but we'll just have to see what happens. I feel totally blessed with this little one on the way.

I wondered what your thoughts were on this, especially if you're an older mum.

Im 30 so kinda in the middle but my mum was 40 when she had me and we have a great relationship - she also had 5 of us in 3 years and 5 months (one set of twins) - so it was no problem to her - although personally I think she was mad - imagine twice she was pregnant about 2 months after giving birth. I will not be following her lead :shakehead: :shakehead:

my aunt didnt have her 1st child till she was 40 and she got 3 kids in by the time she was 46 ..

I'm nearly there but not quite, my first at 32, but let me tell u..
through all my appointments / classes i am the youngest!! My sister in law is now pregnant at 40, my work colleague has had her 3rd at 42, yes she had a few more checks but her new born daughter is gorgeous.
So i think it is so much more 'the norm' nowadays.
Matt and i want to wait about 3 half years before trying again, which would make me nearly 36 and we want 4...so i envisage having my last child in my 40's.
Don't worry hun :hug: :hug:

It is down to you when you start to have babies....I wanted all mine born before i was 30 so i could still have a career later on there are no rules, I have friends your age just starting and others who have teenagers and a newborn.....here i am 34 and about to pop number 5.....I had two very close together 14months age diff and it is a great way to do it ....i recommend it highly. This one i have a pretty big age gap as my eldest is 13 two girls are 8 and 9 and my youngest 6.....It will be the first time i have just one at home and one in nappies (i raised my ex's children we had 7 altogether). Don't be conditoned by society do what is right for you. :D

Thanks girls for your replies, you have all really made me feel much more positive :D :D :D

Well I'm only 28... and I would love to have another one after this... but I don't think it will be possible. My grandmother and mother both had children with severe genetic diseases in their early 30's, both resulting in the death of the child. I had Tia at just 20 and she has a genetic problem but not severe... and I just feel that if I continued to have kids into my 30's then I'd be risking the same thing as my mum did... and I don't think I could handle that tbh. :think:

Also with my Crohn's I don't want to get ill in my 40's/50's and have to rely on my kid to take care of me...

We shall see.. I have always said I'd hold off until I was 32... if at 32 I hadn't had another baby, I'd get my tubes tied and be done with it.. :) Its doesn't upset me tbh... I just feel its the right thing for ME to do. But I do understand this feeling of OMG I'm running out of time...

On the up side if your fit and healty.. just keep going.. I would if I could.. :)

I'm 31 and having my first. I seem fairly young compared to most other mums that have been at appointments I have had etc such as the SPD class.

DebbieM said:
I'm 31 and having my first. I seem fairly young compared to most other mums that have been at appointments I have had etc such as the SPD class.

I have to admit.. I'm a "teen" mum over here... they don't expect you to start popping off sprogs until you are 35+ here... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: and most women I have seen here pregnant are older women in their 40's... :think: So don't fret... just go for it if you can... :) BTW Kazlin from your ava what those people tell you is right.. you don't look anywhere NEAR 39.. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh thanks hun :oops: By the way I don't always dress like that, I was playing a character at Vampire LARP :wink:

I conceived about a month before I turned 37. Hubby and I had decided a couple of years back that we would give ourselves a bit more time together before trying (we've been together 6 years). So when we talked about it this summer, we both felt ready and lo, it happened not long after. I was aware of my fertility rate dropping and said to hubby I was not comfortable with the thought of trying to conceive nearer 40 for the first time.

So I'm PG with our first due in early May. Hubby and I have already discussed about having a second, providing all goes well with this one. We feel that we'll go for broke and start trying again when Baby is 6 months old. It might take 3 months to conceive, it might take a year, so we felt that we were better off not hanging around.

If it does happen we'll run the chance of having two young children close together but are prepared for that. We don't think we would then try for anymore. I'd rather not leave it longer than that to start trying for a second as I don't want to be PG after 40 for numerous reasons. I'd also like to leave enough time for it to happen, trying again just before I turn 38 seems like a good time and gives us a couple of years then.

I am/was 40 when I had Matilda, which is my 1st, we are hoping to have another, we've decided to just go with the flow and if it happens it happens. Sometimes i think 'OMG' when I'm 50 Matilda will only be 10 but hey you're as young as you want to be so if you feel like trying for another go for it!!!!!!!

this is my first at 32. I only just feel grown up enough now! Im not sure if we will want more than one anyway...but if we did, i certainly dont feel too old ..yet!

I'm 31 and this is my first. Just depends on your life and what's important to you at what particular time. I may have another, but not for another 2-3 years at least.

I'm 37, my birthday last friday :D And very similar to Sherlock, in October I pointed out to hubby it was now or never, he'd have preferred waiting another couple of years (he's only 31) but understood why it had to be now and I got pregnant really quickly :shock: If all goes well we'll be trying again when this one is about 6-9 months old as I don't want an only child and I don't think I'll be lucky enough to get pregnant that quickly again.

I haven't even had a scan on the first one yet and I've decided I want four children! but we'll probably stick at two (if we're lucky enough to get two) :lol:

Well I had my first at 37 and after that, we tried and tried for another to no avail. :( I said that after 43 we would give up. As it turned out, I conceived 2 weeks before my 44th birthday :shock:

I now have a beautiful 6 week old daughter.

Never say never :wink:

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back