9mo sleep problems

ruby2015

Reaction score
Pulling my hair out at the moment :-(
DS is 9 months and doesn't sleep through the night. Wakes every couple of hours and as the night goes on it gets progressively harder to get him to sleep in his cot. Sleeps fine in bed with us but it's so uncomfortable and my back is killing from not having enough room. Can't do cry it out method because he has severe separation anxiety at the moment, but pick up put down isn't working either. Because he can pull himself up to standing once he's awake he won't put himself back to sleep- he just stands there crying. Anyone have any advice? I'm still BF and he still feeds a bit throughout the night (not much in the day) xxx

Bf babies take much longer to sleep on their own, because they're so used to the closeness of mummy. That doesn't make it any easier on you though! Can you fill him up with more food and less milk in the day so he's got a fuller tummy at bedtime? It might not help initially but it might be a start. My youngest bfed every 2 hours day and night right up to 10.5 months, it was a killer. Once we cut out more milk feeds, he ate more food and woke up less in the night but it was a 3-4 month process. He's now 16 months and is a completely different child.

Wow I could have written this! My 8month old stands up immediately as he wakes, don't even know if he's awake sometimes! he sleeps best in the evening before we go to bed then it's rare to get more than 1.5 hours . He does the evening in his cot and I had to give in to bringing him into our bed as I was up all night Rocking and feeding him, I honestly think it was making me lose weight! Anyway in our bed he either sleeps nicely or fidgets insanely and scratches me and climbs all over. It gets sore, achey and cold and he feeds basically all night on and off! So I switch between our bed and putting him in his cot if I can transfer him.

So no advice because I don't want to sleep train. He's getting harder to transfer asleep to his cot so seems to be getting worse! I love cuddling him tho, and its all totally worth it. Just very tiring!

Last edited:
If you can I would maybe just put baby on a mattress on floor (as long as the room is safe to) then when he wakes up you can lie next to them get them back to sleep then sneak off? I did this with my 8m old when we went on holiday (I think the new environment shocked her) and it works really well! X

Kumber you are full of good advice- thanks so much for the comforting words- I'm so glad things improved for you! Will try to feed him up more in the day and see if that helps.
Holi what a brilliant idea! I don't have a spare mattress but I could try with the cot mattress and eee if it works. Thanks for the tip- do you do that at home as well then?
Mel I'm so sorry- I think we have the same baby! My friend asked if I'd got a cat the other day because my face was covered in scratches...arrrgh! Have you had any advice? I wondered about trying some osteopathy. I'm trying really hard to force him to sleep in cot but the other night I was up 3-4.30 trying but still failed and brought him into our bed �� Anyway I've just got him back in the cot (12.30am- usually wouldn't get away with it but he must he tired) so am off to sleep- yeehah!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back