8 weeks, less risk?

zo75

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant and I had a scan last week which confirmed the babies heart was beating (had had some spotting). A friend of mine told me that when you reach the 8 week mark and it's confirmed a viable pregnancy, the risk of miscarriage is much less. Does anyone know if this is true? I'd love to stop worrying so much.

Zo

Hi Zo!!
As far as I understand it the chances of miscarriage are significantly reduced once you reach 10 weeks and once you reach 12 weeks the chances of miscarrying are very low. I think it's about 1 in 6 before 10weeks, 1 in 100 after 10weeks and then 1 in about 250 after 12 weeks. Don't quote me on that though!!!
Try not to worry though xxx

If you have had a scan and baby is showing, it means the baby has implanted itself ok! However, should still be carefull up til 12 weeks, as there is still a small chance something could happen.

Take care and try not worry to much, just enjoy what is happening to your body!!!

Natalie x

I read somewhere that when a heartbeat has been detected your risk of a miscarriage drops can't remember figures though, and then as mentioned above the further your pregnancy is along the lower your risk :D

I am now 16 weeks and i had bleeding at about 4-8 weeks then i had very heavy bleeding and lost tissue at 11 weeks i did write what happened in a previous post "bleeding" scans reveal that baby is fine :D

I know it's easier said than done and i won't stop worrying until baby is born, but do try not to worry too much it won't do you or baby any good, i've upset myself so much over the last couple of weeks, it has been a really stressful pregnancy, but will be worth it in the end.

Mand x

thanks girls for all your advice, will make a conscious effort this weekend to relax a little which is no mean feat given the fact that we're in the process of moving into our 1st home!

zx

zo75 said:
Hi there, I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant and I had a scan last week which confirmed the babies heart was beating (had had some spotting). A friend of mine told me that when you reach the 8 week mark and it's confirmed a viable pregnancy, the risk of miscarriage is much less. Does anyone know if this is true? I'd love to stop worrying so much.

Zo

I'm also 8 weeks pregnant and I had a scan about a week ago because I was experiencing stomach cramps. I was told that my chances of miscarriage are less than 5%, the same as they are from 12 weeks and on. The only reason we can say that our pregnancies are established this early is because we have had the scan early, as opposed to the normal 12 weeks. This is also why newly expectant mothers are advised to keep the preganancy to themselves until the 12th week because they have not yet had the scan to confirm complete implantation.

Glad to hear everything is ok. I know I was terrified when i went to hospital with my cramps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back